We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Lake District?

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
84 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Lake District?

Looking to hike around Lake District for 3-4 days. Flying into Manchester in Early August. I prefer less crowds, challenging hikes, beautiful views and a place to enjoy a beer afterwards. Debating car or train. Wouldn’t mind hiking from one village/bnb to another, but ok staying in one central location if that makes more sense.

If not here, would your suggest something like this for Snowdonia?

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
37 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

If you want to avoid the crowds, then heading to the more western parts of the Lake District is a good idea. The popular bits around Ambleside, Windermere, or Keswick get very busy, particularly in August.

If you head for somewhere like Eskdale, you will escape most of the crowds and will certainly have plenty of challenging hikes to keep you occupied. There are some nice pubs there as well.

Other places worth considering are Wasdale, Ennerdale, or Buttermere.

The public transport in most of those places is woeful, so if you do decide to to that, then I think you will definitely need to hire a car.

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Eskdale
Eskdale
Lake District, UK
Buttermere
Buttermere
583 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
CUMBRIA
Level Contributor
378 posts
1,123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

i would head to Grasmere, its pretty central and you can reach the main parts most want to see from here. plenty of lovely walks here

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

It would help if you could be a bit more specific. Less crowds? Does that mean see no-one all day, meet people every ten or fifteen minutes, not have to queue at times? Challenging? What does that mean in terms of distance and ascent? Technical difficulty? Exposure?

All of these are available in the Lake District to a degree, though you may have to make some compromises.

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

>>>i would head to Grasmere

I would have thought Grasmere would be pretty crowded in August !

Note that August is probably the Lake Districts busiest time so you cant assume you can just "turn up" somewhere and find a bed for the night.

Mentioned in this post
Grasmere
Grasmere
Lake District, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,112 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

I think the problem you'll have is going in August and looking for a central location that's quiet.

The one place which will be quiet isn't really central and that's Ennerdale. There's a pub at Ennerdale Bridge and you can do some interesting walks from the car park near the Lake. Anglers Crag is a good walk. I've done that but not gone on to Crag Fell which is higher. I've also not gone onto the other side of Ennerdale Water where you can do walks to Brown How and Great Borne. Beyond that you can access some terrific walks towards Loweswater, Crummock Water, and Buttermere. In fact the Black Sail YHA is in that direction. That's pretty remote.

Maybe that's a possibility?

Mentioned in this post
Buttermere
Buttermere
583 Reviews
Buttermere, UK
Greer, South...
Level Contributor
84 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

Great info! I’m looking for a modest, central place to stay with less crowds and challenging hikes. A good pub Within walking distance of my bed is important.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

Challenging hikes won't be a problem, but you really need to choose between "central place" and "less crowds". Having both is going to be tricky.

I think the best thing I can think of that's reasonably central and not too crowded is Langdale. Chapel Stile is a lovely little village in Great Langdale which is reasonably central, and while it will be busy in August, it's a small enough place that it doesn't have the crowded feel of places like Ambleside.

It has a nice pub, and hiking up to the Langdale Pikes is certainly something that most people would consider challenging. It's also not a bad location for Crinkle Crags and Bowfell, another challenging but splendid walk.

Mentioned in this post
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
1,497 Reviews
Ambleside, UK
Great Langdale
Great Langdale
Lake District, UK
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

I'd still be interested to see an answer to #3. Personally I wouldn't see the Langdale Pikes as particularly challenging on their own. Jack's Rake on Pavey Ark would challenge me, but that's exposure rather than distance. Crinkle Crags and Bowfell is good. And less crowded than what? I did Angels Landing in Zion last year, starting at 0800, and that was gridlocked. I've seen pictures of Half Dome in Yosemite. If you're looking for less crowded than that, anywhere in the Lake District would be fine.

Don't forget that you can just get a map and walk anywhere you want. There's no restrictions at all, and every ridge, every valley will have a path on it, every summit several routes to the top.

Edited: 17 May 2018, 05:51
Mentioned in this post
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
1,497 Reviews
Ambleside, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
CUMBRIA
Level Contributor
378 posts
1,123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

Train to Oxenholm and bus into Grasmere. Many fabulous walks very quiet with stunning views

Mentioned in this post
Grasmere
Grasmere
Lake District, UK
Greer, South...
Level Contributor
84 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Lake District?

Thanks again everyone!

Reply to: 3 nights in Lake District?