We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Canterbury to Dover Cruise Terminal

Which Canterbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Canterbury to Dover Cruise Terminal

We're staying in Canterbury before our cruise. I'm wondering about getting from Canterbury to the Cruise Terminal on a Sunday. I realize there is train service to Dovery Priory and there is a bus that stops at the Ferry Terminal and somewhere downtown [within walking distance of the cruise terminal?]. In both cases we would need to take a taxi from the train station or bus stop to the cruise terminal. One suggestion I read was to take the bus to the Ferry Terminal and then a taxi to the Cruise Terminal. There will be 2 of us and we'll each have a suitcase and a carry-on. The other option would be to book a taxi in Canterbury to take us directly to the Cruise Terminal. The last time I was in Dover, there was a bus that ran between downtown, the Dover Castle and the Cruise Terminal but I don't know if it connects to the train or bus. Suggestions please!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Canterbury to Dover Cruise Terminal

You might find it simpler to just get a taxi for this short journey.

But it you want to get a bus, I've looked at the bus timetable, and can't see a direct bus from Dover Priory Station but there is the #61 towards Aycliffe which is hourly on a Sunday. It doesn't pass the station but it is only a short walk to either get it from Priory Street (Stop F) or the main Pencester Road bus station. The walk from Dover Priory Station to here is about 1/3 of the total distance. You can check the route on Google Streetview and see where you would get off by the Cruise Terminal (zooming in on max shows you the bus stop icons).

The bus operator is Stagecoach

www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx…

I can't see the point of getting a bus to the Ferry Terminal (Eastern Docks) and then a taxi to the Cruise Terminal (Western Docks), as the Ferry Terminal is further away in the opposite direction.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Canterbury to Dover Cruise Terminal

What is the cruise company offering?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,034 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Canterbury to Dover Cruise Terminal

http://www.doverport.co.uk/?page=HowToGetHere

doverport.co.uk/_assets/…2008_cropped.pdf

Edited: 05 March 2012, 11:47
Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Canterbury to Dover Cruise Terminal

EssexWanderer -- thank you to the link to the Cruise Port Passenger Guide.

wirewiper -- the cruise company only offers transfers between the Heathrow and Gatwick airports and the port and then only on embarkation day. They probably offer a transfer from London if you opt to buy a precruise package.

BayB0y -- I think you're right that a taxi is really the best option.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Canterbury to Dover Cruise Terminal

No worries - I know that sometimes people come on here asking about 'Transport to Cruise Terminals' without checking what transfers on offer, but I see in your case that the transfers don't fit your plans.

6. Re: Transportation from Canterbury to Dover Cruise Terminal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:41
Get answers to your questions about Canterbury