We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs or restaurants outside southwest of Canterbury

Maryland
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs or restaurants outside southwest of Canterbury

We will be coming from Sissinghurst and are looking for somewhere to have lunch on the way to Canterbury. We had thought of stopping at the Compass Inn but closed on Tuesdays for lunch. Any other recommendations of a nice country place for lunch. Needn't be fancy if food is good and nice surroundings.

thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs or restaurants outside southwest of Canterbury

The Conpasses is a little bit off the route anyway.

The most direct route in my opinion, which is also a lovely drive, is via Smarden, Pluckley, Charing and Chilham, all of which are pretty villages most of which have pubs that have good reviews. Saves the hassle of trying to navigate Ashford.

Chilham is probably *the* standout ‘chocolate-box’ village in the whole of Kent so is definitely worth a stop even if not eating.

If you want an early lunch close to Sissinghurst I’ve eaten (although about 4 years ago) at Three Chimneys near Biddenden, very nice and think it still gets good reviews.

The George Inn at Molash in between Challock and Chilham was always very well regarded but no personal experience.

Maryland
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs or restaurants outside southwest of Canterbury

That is so helpful- thank you!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs or restaurants outside southwest of Canterbury

I've been to both the Black Horse and the Dering Arms , both in Pluckley. Good food, although the Dering Arms was more expensive. I'm always a bit reluctant to recommend a place, just in case the chef has a 'off' day!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs or restaurants outside southwest of Canterbury

I've not been inside either of those but Pluckley does have the novelty of being the 'most haunted village in England' and also has an unsual architectural feature where almost all windows in the village are of a romanesque-type design called Dering windows. https://www.geograph.org.uk/snippet/360

The Black Horse is right in the village centre which is a pretty spot with the church and school alongside, I stopped there a year or so ago and was pleased to see there was still a tiny little village shop and post office. too. The Dering Arms is a bit further out near the railway station.

Maryland
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs or restaurants outside southwest of Canterbury

Thank you all!! We leave soon and I am taking these suggestions with me!

Reply to: Pubs or restaurants outside southwest of Canterbury
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canterbury