We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon

4 posts
Save Topic
Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon

Hi,

I am running the Brighton Marathon this Sunday and we will be driving in from our Airbnb in Wilmington (near Eastbourne) in the morning of race day. We will probably be driving along the A27 - does anyone know how congested that road gets on that morning? Or have any tips on the time we should allow to get into Brighton from there. It's a long shot I know, assuming only marathon runners from Eastbourne will know the answer - but just want to ensure I get on that start line in time!!

Thanks everyone.

Bethany

Mentioned in this post
The Brighton Hotel
The Brighton Hotel
1,435 Reviews
Brighton, UK
Eastbourne
Eastbourne
East Sussex, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
7 replies to this topic
Dresden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon

Cars and Brighton are never a good combination at the best of times. Parking in Brighton is always extremely restricted and expensive. Parking anywhere near Preston Park will be problematic & is always difficult. On a Sunday morning, there won't be too many places up for grabs, especially when who knows how many other 100's of vehicles may have the same idea. Due to the marathon having a later start this year, maybe park up at Lewes Station and take the train into the city?

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Preston Park
Preston Park
279 Reviews
Brighton, UK
Lewes
Lewes
East Sussex, UK
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon

Yes good plan! Although annoyingly all the trains are being replaced by buses that weekend 😫 - putting more traffic on the roads! Hopefully they should run on time though ...

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
550 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon

Check the marathon website - many of the roads into Brighton will be closed from 6am - there are signs up all over the city. A27 will be fine. The website will give you advice on parking for the day.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon

First question - what time in the morning are you talking about ? The A27 from Eastbourne to Lewes is so rubbish that they actually have signs up suggesting you take the train. However, if this is +really+ early then, as stated, you should be fine.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Eastbourne
Eastbourne
East Sussex, UK
Lewes
Lewes
East Sussex, UK
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon

Well we can leave as early as needs be! Frustrating that the trains arn’t even running that day! 😫

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon

Probably leave about 7am .....

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon

Welcome to the shambles that is Southern. Not forgetting their partners in crime Network Rail, of course.

I’d just go really, reallly early. I bet you’ll be awake anyway with the anticipation for the day, so just head off as soon as you’re ready.

Mike

Reply to: Travelling by car into Brighton for the Marathon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted