We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cornflower Cottage, 50 Salisbury St. Shaftesbury.

Devon
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Cornflower Cottage, 50 Salisbury St. Shaftesbury.

Has anyone else been scammed like us? My friend and I booked here from late May till early June 2016 through Owners Direct. This was the worst cottage we had EVER booked, and we have been to dozens. The place was filthy, smelled old and musty, was infested with moths and had slugs crawling over all the kitchen work surfaces every evening. There were holes in the ceiling, rotting window frames, exposed wiring and used laundry was left under the bed. It was like being in a squat cum building site. No doubt the owner was laughing all the way to the bank. Needless to say we didn't stay the week. Such a shame as the potential was there, the area was fabulous and within walking distance of the town centre with our own car parking space and large garden. (Sounds great doesn't it?) I have not been able to find any reviews for this place which should have made alarm bells ring. You live and learn. Photos are available for anyone interested.

5 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Cornflower Cottage, 50 Salisbury St. Shaftesbury.

Is this the one?

http://www.cornflowercottage.co.uk/

Have you complained to the named contact? A name and telephone number is provided under contact details.

Have you notified the OwnersDirect website? They are part of the HomeAway group.

Devon
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Cornflower Cottage, 50 Salisbury St. Shaftesbury.

I have contacted the website of OwnersDirect on several occasions.and have spoken to the owner. I have also contacted the Tourist Information Office in Shaftesbury, nobody seems interested. Even Trip Advisor didn't want to post my review.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,273 posts
82 reviews
3. Re: Cornflower Cottage, 50 Salisbury St. Shaftesbury.

<< Even Trip Advisor didn't want to post my review.>>

AFAIK Trip Advisor only lists "vacation rentals" (and hence reviews of these) that are bookable through one of the TA group of companies - Owners Direct is not part of the group.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,651 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Cornflower Cottage, 50 Salisbury St. Shaftesbury.

You can't review a holiday let on TripAdvisor unless you booked it through TripAdvisor Lettings or an associated company eg Holiday Lettings.

I would imagine though that you could leave a review with Owners Direct, and you could certainly raise a complaint with them.

Did you raise the state of the cottage with anyone when you arrived? What did they day and do?

5. Re: Cornflower Cottage, 50 Salisbury St. Shaftesbury.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 August 2016, 06:35

Reply to: Cornflower Cottage, 50 Salisbury St. Shaftesbury.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shaftesbury