We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hardy Monument

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
42 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hardy Monument

Just outside Dorchester is the Hardy Monument.

It is a monument to a different Thomas Hardy, not the famous author but a naval war hero.

From here the views of the surrounding counrtyside and coast are very nice.

The road leads onward to the picturesque thatched village of Abbotsbury.

I recently visited there for the first time.

Unaware there was a burger van there I took my own picnic and when I tried to use the bin marked 'rubbish' the van driver came and shouted at me that I was not allowed to use the bin as I had not purchased the food from him.

When I asked him if he would rather I dumped my litter in the countryside than use the bin he continued to shout at me.

It was my first stop of many on a touring holiday and his bad vibes rubbed off a little and got my trip off to not the best start.

What is ironic is that the van Hobo Organics tries to promote itself as spiritual!

The driver with the pony tail needs to calm down and show manners to prospective customers and if he really doesn't want tourists to use the bin he needs to write on it 'for customers only'.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hardy Monument

How petty is that. Maybe you should have left your rubbish BESIDE his precious bin! Like you say, its doesn't do your holiday spirit much good when some jobsworth shouts at you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hardy Monument

Alternatively, if the guy's bin gets full and people dump the wrappers from his burgers on the ground, presumably he gets the blame and maybe gets his license revoked. No call for shouting, though, if that's what he did.

I don't understand what it is about food packaging that suddenly makes it toxic to people after they have finished eating. If you are able to carry the full packaging to where you eat the food, why is now impossible to take the empty packaging home with you?

If you are interested in the multiple Thomas Hardy(e)s in Dorchester. you might also want to look at the Thomas Hardye school, founded by yet another one.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hardy Monument

Hi there

Yes, the monument sits in a great location and on a clear day, the views are wonderful. I can understand the trader's attitude, he no doubt pays for a licence to trade there and provides facilities for his customers rather than for everyone. No need to start shouting of course but personally, if I'd brought food with me, I would have taken the wrappings back with me.

4. Re: Hardy Monument

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2010, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Dorchester
More Dorchester Topics