We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torquay to Southampton

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Torquay to Southampton

We will have three full days to travel by car from Torquay to Southampton in mid-May and need advice on the route to take and which towns to stay for the two nights. We want to stop to explore places along the way. Could I have feedback on the following proposal please.

Day 1: From Torquay travel to Exeter via Teignmouth and Dawlish or via Newton Abbot?

Morning at Exeter - visit Exeter Cathedral, Quayside, Topsham, etc.

Exeter to Exmouth - Sidmouth - Beer - Seaton - Lyme Regis.

Afternoon at Lyme Regis. Travel to Weymouth via Abbotsbury or Dorchester?? Stay overnight at Weymouth.

Day 2: Weymouth to Lymington - visit Lulworth Cove, Poole, Bournemouth, Christchurch and ?? Stay overnight at Lymington.

Day 3: Lymington to Southampton via Brockenhurst and Lyndhurst, New Forest. Visit Winchester Cathedral if we have time.

Is this itinerary balanced and allowing us plenty of time for stops? Are the overnight choices practical or should we be considering other places to stay? Are there any places that we should visit that I have not listed?

Edited: 04 February 2012, 18:47
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,893 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torquay to Southampton

Hmmm, let's see: Day 1 - Start in Torquay. Morning in Exeter. Afternoon in Lyme Regis. Night in Weymouth. All the other places will be drive-throughs as you won't have time to explore them.

The Poole-Bournemouth area is a large built-up area. I'd skip these, find a scenic route round and just go to Christchurch.

I'd have a rethink if I were you.

Edited: 04 February 2012, 22:20
Braunton, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Torquay to Southampton

I think the plans for Day 1 look great but if it was me, I'd skip some of Day 2 and choose an earlier stop on Day 1 so you can explore more fully. I like the route out of Torquay via Teignmouth as its very pretty rather than via Newton Abbott.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torquay to Southampton

Thanks for that. Will travel via Teignmouth to Exeter.

Am willing to rethink the itinerary but would appreciate some suggestions on how to make it more workable. We have no idea how much time each place needs for a look around. Obviously we can't explore everywhere indepth so some places will have to be almost a "drive through" but it would be a shame if we spent too much time at one place and missed out on another equally as nice or better just up the road if only we had known.

An example is Lyme Regis - everyone says it is a wonderful place and indeed it does look lovely but I am now questioning whether we need an afternoon there having seen photos.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torquay to Southampton

I believe the Dinousiar coast hopper service runs between Exeter and Lyme Regs and may take some of the destinations you want in, from what I heard the frequency might have increased, but have a look at the First Bus website for Devon, but Lyme Regis is a very nice place, and could take easily half a day, and Seaton if you use the trams that will take some considerable time as well.

So you may be pushing yourself to do so much in a morning or a day, I would siggest though looking at that bus service as it may well link you to Weymouth via Dorchester, I can't remember the route but you could save yourself some driving by using that service, it may be slow, but should give you beautiful views etc and stop on places you want to visit at the same time.

Just trying to help here with thinking about reducing your driving time etc and also ways to help you get to see the wonderful scenery of that area. I think that's what it's still called as there was an article on that service in Buses Magazine a few years back.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torquay to Southampton

As with many places - you can spend a whole day in Lyme Regis quite easily if you want to wander round and also relax a bit on the sea front.

Allow flexibility for different weather conditions too.

6. Re: Torquay to Southampton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2013, 19:30