We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park and ride spaces

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Park and ride spaces

I couldn't get into Honiton Road Park and Ride a couple of days ago so ended up in Sowton Park and Ride instead.

I've had a look on various websites and can't find the answer but would be interested if anybody knows what the capacities of Honiton Rd, Matford and Sowton Park and Rides are please,

Many thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park and ride spaces

The Sowton one has 580, Honiton Rd 650 and Matford 500

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park and ride spaces

Thanks Riotstar

If you come to Exeter by car I take it you come via the N Devon link road and would use Honiton Rd (if you use a park and ride). I know it's near Xmas but whilst Honiton Rd was full, Sowton was only about 2/3 full.

A few years ago there was a possibility that the Hydrographic Office would relocate from Taunton to Exeter to be close to the Met Office but one of their concerns would be the lack of parking. I wonder whether Met Office staff use the P & R which is not really what it's meant for.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park and ride spaces

I'm not sure if Exeter has those available space signs, if you do as you approach the town, these signs should tell you how many spaces are remaining in these car parks, they do this in Cambridge, and I am not sure if the same is done in Exeter, but I thought there were one or two but can't remember if it covered all sites I'm afraid.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park and ride spaces

Actually I usually use Sowden because (as you say) you can almost always get parked & we can get straight back on the motorway. I suspect your idea re Met Office staff mag well bad valid!

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park and ride spaces

Re #3

There are signs as you approach the city centre telling you the number of available spaces in each car park but I'm pretty sure they don't cover the park and rides.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park and ride spaces

I think they only cover the city centre car parks, they are placed well after the park and ride the way I come into Exeter.

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park and ride spaces

WaltR and Annabelle are both correct!

ATB,J.

8. Re: Park and ride spaces

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 18:18