We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bases in Cornwall and Devon

Kingscliff...
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Bases in Cornwall and Devon

We are returning to this area after 15 years and want to stay in self catering accommodation in medium sized towns near natural beauty and be able to drive the areas from these bases.

We will book 3 different locations and want advice on which towns would be the most enjoyable to stay in for 3 nights each. We are happy to drive each day to other places.

We are thinking of booking near Exeter to explore that area, but aren't sure which other 2 locations would work best for a relaxing holiday and experiencing the local way of life. We like Padstow area, Fowey, Clovelly area but not the town. We will drive to St Ives from a base only.

Which of these towns would suit our needs and work best together. We will be travelling in May.

Any local advice would be appreciated as our previous trip was quick and we didn't get to stay in any of these places.

Thanks.

11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

You may not have much choice about where to stay. There are two Bank holidays in May so the area gets busy and, in any case, holiday cottages generally have a one week minimum let. Occasionally you can get a shorter let if you book at the last minute. Or, if you're prepared to consider a caravan I've heard that some sites offer shorter lets.

When in May will you be visiting please? Would you consider two longer lets instead of three shorter ones? What sort of accommodation do you want - cottage, apartment, caravan, chalet? Budget?

With more info we may be able to come up with some options.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

Just noticed that you've posted on the St Mawes forum although you don't plan on staying there. You should repost on the Devon and Cornwall forums for the best chance of responses.

Kingscliff...
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

Thanks for your reply. We would like self catering places in quieter places such as Lynton in the Clovelly area and maybe Looe near Fowey. The scenery is different to ours so want to take advantage of it.. Our choice is for a cottage or appartment.

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
997 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

In Devon, consider, among others, Sidmouth, Beer, Totnes, Lynton/Lynmouth, Tavistock... For a non-touristy wildcard consider Hatherleigh - deepest Devon but surprisingly close to lots of interesting places.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,637 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

Have you taken ob board you will probably not get a cottage or apartment for three nights? I would look at what is available to you and go from there.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,951 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

There are plenty of places but few, in May, who will let anything self catering for less than a week (which others have told you). It would be a good idea to phone any that you're interested in to see if they will do three days.... It's the start of the holiday season, so most only let for a week and get booked very quickly. Some may have the option of fewer days on their websites but most do not.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

I've heard there might be short term lets in the Looe area but I don't know which these might be. Avoid the week from 26th May as it is the school holiday and everywhere will be very busy.

8. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 October 2017, 20:35

Surrey
Level Contributor
388 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

I have booked 3 nights in Polperro a few times now, and through Holiday Cottages Polperro who I think always do 3 or 4 night breaks, apart from in the main school holidays.

I love Polperro and think 3 nights in a cottage there is bliss. It is much smaller than Fowey or Looe. I adore Fowey, I think you will like Polperro if you like Fowey but want smaller.

I have looked at renting cottages in Fowey and there seem to be quite a few a couple of miles out in the countryside. Or what about Polruan if you don't want to stay in Fowey? Polruan is much quieter. There is a small cottage company there called, I think, Polruan and Fowey Cottages.

Also, have a look on the big cottage company websites, like Sykes Cottages, where you can do a search by area.

Exeter is a busy city and I think you would be better off choosing a village to stay in to explore Devon, as you say you want to see countryside.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bases in Cornwall and Devon

We are from Australia too and looking at travelling in May. We have never been to Devon or Cornwall. We want to see the countryside there as it is so different from ours. We have 3 priorities-1. authentic Devonshire tea, 2. Cornish Pasties, 3. Visiting Port Isaacs. When are the bank holidays in May, so we can try to work around these?

Reply to: Bases in Cornwall and Devon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St Mawes
More St Mawes Topics