We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from St Mawes to Bath

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from St Mawes to Bath

We are going to drive from St Mawes to Bath (in summer) on a Tuesday morning. How long will it take? Happy to hear suggestions for places to stop along the way or to have lunch. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
St Mawes
St Mawes
Roseland Peninsula, UK
8 replies to this topic
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,761 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from St Mawes to Bath

Away from the weekend allow 4 hours.

Just under half way, and worth a couple of hours stop I wonder if this might be of interest (with a decent cafe too) https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/castle-drogo

Edited: 02 June 2017, 16:20
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from St Mawes to Bath

Castle Drogo and the story of its construction/ownership are amazing. Well worth a visit.

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
962 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from St Mawes to Bath

Direct via A30/M5, 200 miles, about 4 hours plus stoppage time.

But dual carriageways and motorways are dull so I'd make a full day of it and see something en route. Start early and maybe divert over Dartmoor and take in short stops at places like Postbridge (picturesque clapper bridge), Grimspound (atmospheric prehistoric village) and Moretonhampstead (pretty town).

Then I'd drive past Exeter, take the A30/A303 to Montacute and have a lengthy stop at this lovely old Tudor mansion. Off to Bath on the A39, which is the old Roman Fosse Way, arriving Bath in the early evening.

These are just a few suggestions, as options are infinite and a lot depends on what you like doing and seeing

(Be aware that Castle Drogo is currently under restoration and, although open, was surrounded by scaffolding last time I visited. Not sure of precise situation now but I'd check)

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from St Mawes to Bath

thanks for your responses - greatly appreciated. I've check Castle Drogo website and it's open but still seems to have plenty of scaffolding.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from St Mawes to Bath

An alternative might be Knightshayes. It is another NT property. Or Killerton but that's a bit more out of your way. If you are not in a rush, the Dartmoor suggestion is a good one.

Mentioned in this post
Killerton
Killerton
909 Reviews
Exeter, UK
6. Re: Driving from St Mawes to Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 June 2017, 05:35

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,761 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from St Mawes to Bath

Dear breadamac, you are likely to get much better answers if you start a new question rather than leapfrogging onto another. People who are interested in Newquay or Devon may not read a thread with the current title.

Mentioned in this post
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
england
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from St Mawes to Bath

Castle Drogo is down some interesting narrow lanes so if you go there you may get some nice little scratches for the hire company to overcharge you for. However you will hopefully be used to the lanes by then. Hope you've taken out excess insurance.

If you haven't got National Trust membership this is the same area and the reviews say it all https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev… If you go there have a look in the village hardware store while you're passing- It seems to go on forever and sell everything.

@6 Newquay would not generally be recommended to those looking for a quiet time.

Mentioned in this post
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
Reply to: Driving from St Mawes to Bath
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St Mawes
More St Mawes Topics