We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Ives honeymoon

Essex
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
St Ives honeymoon

I'm on the lookout for suggestions of nice places to eat and things to do on a honeymoon in St Ives! It will be in June half-term so a busy time, but any ideas of anything 'romantic' to do in St Ives or nearby would be highly appreciated...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: St Ives honeymoon

Hi there,

Congratulations, hope you have a great day.

Regarding places to eat there are loads of them, thats why St Ives is so popular. Two of my Favourites are Ocean Grill and Sea Grass but I'm sure others will recommend others and quite rightly so. There are some great restaurants there, it comes down to personal choice and preferences. I believe that Peppers is getting a good name as well but I haven't tried it yet but will on my next visit. To be fair it's not on the Harbour front so you don't get the views like you do at Ocean Grill etc.

As for romantics things to do my two recommendations are a walk along Porthmeor beach as the sunsets or for something a bit different why not take a boat trip:-

http://www.stivesboats.co.uk

Should provide great memories

Best wishes

Jake

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: St Ives honeymoon

Hi Congratulations

I got married in St Ives last year and had my honeymoon there and it is a fabulous place.

I agree with Jake for restaurant suggestions. I love Ocean Grill and Seagrass. I also really really like Firehouse Grill. Both Ocean Grill and Firehouse Grill have sea views so, if you ring and book, you can ask for a window seat. If it is warm enough Ocean Grill has balcony tables with patio heaters.

There are also a number of cafe/restaurants on the beach including Porthminster Beach Cafe, Porthgwidden Beach Cafe and Porthmeor Beach Cafe. Porthmeor is particularly good for an evening drink and watching the sun go down.

A lovely walk along the coastal path to Carbis Bay and back is highly recommended. If you set off in the morning (not too early either as it is only 1.5 miles) you can be back for lunch. Porthminster Beach Cafe takeaway does amazing fish and chips or crab cakes and it is lovely sat on the beach there eating.

I recommend Hub Bar for a really great place to sit and people watch in St Ives. If you go upstairs, it is generally quieter and you can often get a balcony seat. They serve food and drinks including coffee, tea, hot chocolate, wine, beer, cider, you name it. They also do great cake.

Another fab place is Sunset Surf Cafe at Gwithian and they do fantastic breakfasts and also great cakes. They serve hot drinks and are licensed too. Over that way as well is The Sandsifter at Godrevy and they do good food and drinks and have live music some evenings.

The coastal train ride from St Ives to Lelant Saltings is definitely worth doing. Get a Day Ranger ticket and you can go there and back again. If you get off the train at Lelant Saltings and walk out to the main road, just across the road is Scarlet Wines. This is a fabulous deli and they do food too. Although I have not eaten there, my friend has and really enjoyed it. They do breakfast and lunch. You might just want to buy some of their delicious deli offerings. Not sure if you are in self catering but, if you are, it is nice to get food here for a treat.

If you drive to Godrevy and park in the National Trust Car Park then you can take a walk along the coast path there up to Navax point and back round. There are wonderful views of Godrevy lighthouse and you may even see seals in the coves below the path. Take care on the path here though (and, in fact, any stretches of the coast path).

There are various boat trips offered and you can go and see the seals on one of the trips offered. There are also self-hire boats available too.

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: St Ives honeymoon

How long are you there for and do you want to go to places out of St Ives? I have lots more suggestions. Obviously, I have mentioned a few places out of St Ives but they are not very far. You don't have to go that much further for some other great places but I don't want to bombard you with information if you are there for just a week. I expect it will be longer in view of the occasion but you might have other plans elsewhere.

Suzi

Essex
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: St Ives honeymoon

Thanks for the suggestions so far. We are there for just a week but happy to drive around the area a bit.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: St Ives honeymoon

I'm not sure where you have visited in Cornwall before but, a must for me is St Michael's Mount at Marazion. I would also recommend a visit to The Minack Theatre at Porthcurno.

This website link for the South West Coast Path will give you an idea of the fab coastal walks you can take:-

http://www.southwestcoastpath.com/

You can choose by length of walk, difficulty and area. One walk I really would recommend is the walk around Rinsey Cove and that is probably about 12 miles from St Ives but well worth the drive for wonderful coastal views.

You could take a day return flight to the Isles of Scilly from British International Helicopters at Penzance:-

http://www.islesofscillyhelicopter.com/

If you can stomach the sailing, without being poorly, then you can take a sea trip on the Scillonian III - Vhttp://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/timetable_sc3.asp

If you like vineyards then you could visit the nearby Polgoon Vineyard at Penzance would be worth a visit - …vpweb.co.uk/Tours-Events---Open-Days.html

Hope some of these ideas are of interest. If there is something specifically you are interested in, let me know and I'll see what I can suggest for you.

Suzi

6. Re: St Ives honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:42
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations