We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
95 reviews
Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

Hi, I'm visiting St Ives later this year with my family - inc. kids of 14 and 12., as part of a tour of Devon/Cornwall. I'm looking for tips on recommended restaurants/places to eat of an evening (happy to consider any in other places nearby if it's worth the car journey); decent pubs that wouldn't mind the (well-behaved) kids; and anything worth sight-seeing doing during the days. All help gratefully received! John L

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
532 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

If your visit is after May 1 or so, you can take the #300 bus that goes to Lands End, Penzance, and back to St. Ives. It is a wonderful all day trip with lots to do. We got off at Lands End, bought some pasties and walked the coast path to Porthcurno and caught the bus there for rest of the way back to St. Ives.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

Hi there,

In St Ives there are numerous restaurants that are great for families including Ocean Grill and cafe pasta to name 2 just to start you off. Both are locatated on the harbour front overlooking it.

As for pubs my favourite family pub is the Queens hotel good ale, good food in a relaxed environment. They even have a selection of games such as jenga. Other good pubs in the town that do good ale include The Union and the Castle, both on fore st and of couse the Sloop.

Best wishes

Jake

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

Go to Marazion, stock up on more pasty goodness from Philps, eat pasties whilst walking across the beach and causeway to St Michael's Mount - if the tide's low enough - otherwise take the boat across. Once there, go and have a look around the castle at the top or have a wander around and have tea and scones with clotted cream and jam at the cafe. Walk or boat back to Marazion.

Have a day over at Sennen Cove, try and get there early (if it's peak season) to get a parking place. The kids might like to try surfing - the kit is available to hire, lessons are available. Nice arts & crafts at the gallery in the Round House. Nice pub to eat in - The Old Success. Walk up the cliff path to Land's End to work off calories and enjoy the views, it takes about 45 minutes and it's a much nicer approach than just driving there and parking in the massive carpark. Buy souvenirs, post postcard, stay as long (or as short) as you like, wander back to Sennen Cove - it's mostly downhill on the way back ;-)

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - really helpful! Does anyone know anything of either the St Andrews St Bistro or the Alfresco Cafe Bar? John L

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,829 posts
368 reviews
5. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

Nope, but I can't remember if it's the castle or one of the other pubs which does an amazing club sandwich it's a shame I can't remember which one as I think they're known for it

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
6. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

Fish and chips at Porthminster Beach Cafe is recommended (the takeaway part) for the location and the fabulous fish and chips.

Firehouse Grill on Fore Street do fantastic lunches for £5.00 and there is a great choice.

My favourite restaurants in St Ives are Ocean Grill - fabulous food and great value for money with a wonderful view of the harbour, lovely friendly staff and the inferno pizzas are amazing if you like hot and spicy food - Seagrass - pricier than Ocean Grill but fabulous for a celebration. No harbour views but an amazing chef producing astonishing food. The owners are so lovely and friendly too and the rest of the staff are just so lovely, always a great welcome here.

I agree with the suggestion about stocking up on pasties from Philips in Marazion, they are the best in my opinion.

The Union Inn on Fore Street in St Ives does great value food and it is really tasty. Very nice pub.

Enjoy yourselves.

Suzi

Wirral
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
7. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

Hi

You will have a lovely time (fingers crossed the weather stays dry!)

My favourite restaurants are The Mermaid and the Restaurant above The Sloop both near to each other on the corner of the harbour in St Ives

Kirsty

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

All - many thanks for the advice. Looking forward to trying some of your recommendations later in the year! John L

9. Re: Advice on 3 days/nights in St Ives?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 05:14
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations