We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

Hi

has anyone else had a bad experience with dreadful customer service from Carbis Bay holidays. We spent a week in a property in St Ives rented through Carbis Bay Holidays. They failed(chose not to) to advise us that we were right over a long standing building site that was using heavy earth moving equipment, stone cutting etc from 8AM til gone 5.30. This was very stressful for us and ruined any possibilty of relaxing on our 'terrace' during day even though the weather was lovely.We were unable to relax inside the property given the noise levels. We complained at the time and susequently to Carbis BAy Holidays. Their attitude is they think that we have no cause for complaint as we were in '5 star accommodation'. No matter what the standard of the accommodation, which was good, our precious week holiday was thoroughly spoiled by the noise and the stress. However, Carbis Bay Holidays have referred us to their 'not responsible for this kind of problem' small print - and end of story!.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
51. Re: Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

I have always said throughout that there are two sides to every story and it is good to have the other side of it from Amanda. I agree that the other posters have not helped at all by being so defensive about things. TA forum regulars can only comment and point people in the right direction based on the information they are given. Clearly, there is something amiss somewhere because the accounts of both sides are at odds with each other but that is not for us to comment on. The only thing I would say is that, from the account given by CBH, it is not clear whether they would say that they did or didn't mention the building works. I have looked at the reviews of the St Ives Bay Hotel and the works are mentioned quite a bit, however, most people seem to have stayed at weekends so this work hasn't disturbed them. Some guests have commented that they wouldn't like to be there through the week whilst the work is going on and have said that it was extremely unsightly. Other guests have said that the work is fairly unobtrusive and did not bother them. Therefore, I think it is always paramount that anything like this is mentioned to people who are ringing up to enquire about booking accommodation affected by this kind of work. It also appears that some St Ives Bay Hotel guests were not advised of this construction work. I know that, if advised about construction work, it might put a lot of people off booking, however, balanced with the contents of this thread, if I were a Holiday Lettings Company I would probably prefer not to have let the property and not have this level of aggravation.

As I have said, there are two sides to every story and, clearly, both sides stories seem to be at odds with each other. TA is not here to be judge and jury though so, from my point of view, I shan't comment further. Thank you to Amanda from CBH for coming on and posting her side of the story for everyone to consider.

Suzi

Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
44 reviews
52. Re: Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

This is better than the Bowgie Inn thread for Newquay :)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
53. Re: Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

Sorry folks. This is about poor customer service from CBH.

Amanda has offered to talk to potential guests who have seen our negative postings. If you visit the website you will see that there is no advice to potential guests who might unknowingly book on line without a prior alert to the situation. There is no suggestion that CBH have chosen to contact those who are already booked. . Which is our point and one which I think is appropriate for a TA forum and review. Is a company that knows about intrususive building work right beside your hoilday rental justified when they chose not to tell you. Is it reasonable to dismiss you as lone complainers, rather than taking on board your experience, and then suggest that you are simply looking for compensation. Should potential customers not be aware of this? CBH have downplayed the disruption of the building works and we have video that shows this.

We did not threaten CBH with negative reviews unless they gave us a 60% discount. We threatened negative reviews when they failed to respond appropriately to our complaints. They could not see that it was reasonable for us to be unhappy about the building works and we said 'OK we have video evidence -other people might not agree with your position'.

CBH said that they were unable to move us and referred us to their 'building works are not our problem' small print - even though they knew all about the long standing building works and still fail to mention them to potential customers. In pure frustration we then suggested that they should recompense us for the days that we were unable to use the property. They could very easily have come back suggesting that our request was unreasonable (which it probably was but by then we were very upset) and proposed some other constructive way to address our unhappiness.

CBH advised in their final communication to us, several days after the end of our holiday, that they had come round every day to monitor the situation. If that is the case I am very surprised that they did not arrange to come and visit us, their representative would have been more than welcome to 'enjoy' a cup of tea on our terrace and share our genuine holiday experience. I believe that a company that prides itself on good customer service would understand the value of meeting their customers face to face to discuss their issues rather than citing the small print and monitoring in cognito.

The comment by CBH that other apartments were closer to the building site is just not true - if they are referring to apartments in the Gallinas Point development. We were in Serendipity right on the end closest to the noisy road and the building site. I have not previously mentioned the actual property as I didn't wish to make problems for the owner.

Yes it is probably time to draw this to a close. It is not about about money. I go back to my previous question 'would the directors of Carbis Bay Holidays be happy if they had taken precious leave from busy working lives only to find that they were resident adjacent to a building-site and that the company that had mis-sold the holiday just did not see any cause for compalint.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
54. Re: Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

Again, apologies for carrying this on but I just feel so upset and disappointed by the response of Carbis Bay Holidays, both in their responses to use directly and in their response on the Forum.

First, they have always stated to us that they 'chose' not to tell us about the building works. However, they have never chosen to justify why they took this decision and why another rental company did choose to tell their guests.

Second, they have stated to us directly and in the forum that they monitored the situation every day. However, any reader will note, as we did, that they have not stated what the outcome of that monitoring was. Our video recording demonstrates that, at the times when we were prepared to stick around the property, the instrusion was significant.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
55. Re: Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

Any chance of a clip on youtube :)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
56. Re: Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

Yes the photos and video are to follow. We have given CBH ample opportunity to respond appropriatelky and yet they continue to respond as if the building works were a mere 'blip' in the delights of our 5 star accommodation.

Gloucester, United...
1 post
1 review
57. Re: Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

I would RUN A MILE from any agent who THREATENS legal action...

CBH have a history of this and indeed have taken out summons against individuals......stay well away.

come back to St ives but look for individual owners or local agents nit ones based in Nottiingham.

58. Re: Carbis Bay Holidays - Customer Service?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2013, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations