We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Poole,Dorset,UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

Beware of using a cottage letting company called ST Ives Cottages or Coastal Cottages (the same company - www.stivescottages.co.uk).We rented a cottage through them called Fishermans cottage. although it was a nice cottage it cost £660 for one week. We spoke to the people in a similar cottage next door who had only paid £230!

On complaining to St Ives cottages/coastal cottages they were not interested as they had our money via online booking and they did not think the price was a rip off, even though it was proven that they had overcharged us to the tune of 3 times the price of comparison properties. The price for the same week the following year was less as they had charged us for easter bank holiday weekend by mistake - but they would not admit the mistake or refund any money.

I did a lot of research and found out I could have rented one of the top properties in St Ives for what we paid for a 2 bed cottage. I complained to the local hotels association and kept writing to the owners but they kept defending themselves saying their cottage was better than all the others. beware of parting with large sums of money based on a few pictures until you have researched comparable properties!

It turned out the owners were not local people and just interested in getting as much money as they could get away with. The cottage was nice, but not 3 times as nice or worth three times the price of the one next door.

My advice is to go through a reputable letting agent - Lanhams in the town has dozens of cottages to let at reasonable prices - their website can be found at stivesholidays.com. St Ives is a lovely place and there are lots of great places to rent - try Lanhams they should have what you want and they are a reputable agency (www.stivesholidays.com)

Norfolk
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

try Cornish Riviera Holidays as well, we have used used them for years, flats and cottages in St.Ives very reasonable rates.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

Well its £820 for a week in September so maybe you got a bargain :-)

Its also pretty much booked up from now until September, so its looks like it was you that made the mistake by not looking around and comparing prices before you booked.....If as you say you can get the same place for £230 .....which seems unlikely to me, thats only £30 a night for two bedrooms, or £15/each!

They offered a price, you accepted, the only mistake was made by you, if as you say it can be got for 1/3 of the price(can you give an actual example, such as a 'top property in St Ives' ..I'd expect to pay £230 a night maybe, not a week!)

"It turned out the owners were not local people and just interested in getting as much money as they could get away with"

Are you implying its better to rip off the locals by paying them less than the going rate? Which it clearly is if Fisherman's Cottage is booked between now and Sep1st.

Poole,Dorset,UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

Hello Joe,

If you read my post you will see that the property next door was only £230 for the week, for a very similar property. I also did a lot of research on other similar cottages through reputable agencies such as Lanhams. Just because it's £820 in September doesn't mean that's the going rate. In fact my £620 was for a week in April, and I PROVED that the owners had overcharged as the same week the following year was a lot less than I had paid, but they still refused to refund me.

I made a complaint to the owners and contacted the local St ives hotel association, who also agreed that I had been overcharged.

Of course I do not think we should 'rip off the locals' as you put it - and I did speak to the locals at the time, and researched current prices. as you say, I should have checked before I booked, but I assumed the property would be something outstanding. it certainly was not worth 3X the rate! Just because it's £820 a week in September and it's booked doesn't mean a thing except that there are other people like me who booked without doing proper research, and once St Ives cottages had my money they kept it. Once I had sent written proof that I had been overcharged, with full comparisons, St Ives holidays stopped responding to letters as they had no defence.

I am just alerting people to be careful before they part with large sums of money as I did, as there are comparable properties around for a lot cheaper - see Lanhams in my post.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

".Once I had sent written proof that I had been overcharged, with full comparisons, St Ives holidays stopped responding to letters as they had no defence"

You werent "overcharged". At most, you paid more for something than you could have bought _similar_ elsewhere. Overcharged would be - advertised at £500, they charged you £1,000. Advertised at £500 and you paid £500 and thena week later saw it as £250, well tough.

I think your post is fair to say 'shop around' but your talk about being overcharged is simply wrong, it sounds lik they made a mistake, meant to charge you £230 but accidentally charged you £600 and now wont return it. Instead you entered intoa legally binding contract with them, which you now seek unilaterally to revoke. As a test of that, had you found that all the other cottages around were twice what you paid,rather than half, would you;

a) have congratulated yourself on getting a deal, or

b) written to the owners saying they made a mistake undercharging you and enclosinga cheque for the difference?

Yes I thought so, see what I mean , you want it all one way.

One could equally well argue that the other cottages arent charging enough and the locals are being ripped off by canny tourists.

Poole,Dorset,UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

OK You are entitled to your opinion!

Of course I paid the price as advertised, even if it should have been lower, so technically I was not overcharged. I am simply highlightling that people should shop around and be careful, which is my advice. I know I am not going to get my money back.

Of course I know it's "tough", but I don't want other people to make the same mistake. At least it seems we agree that I could have got similar accommodation cheaper if I'd shopped around, which is always the case with hindsight.

Regarding your question, of course It would be option a) and I would have congratulated myself on getting a deal. At the time, in April 2006 I found that I had paid £660 for a cottage when the next door neigbours had paid £220 for the week, so of course I was a little put out at having paid so much.

No I am not seeking to revoke the contract, and I am not going to get my money back. I went through that with the owners. I made a valid complaint that the cottage was expensive and that perhaps they had got the advertised price wrong.

Equally I believe in paying a fair price and am more than happy to pay that price if it's value for money.

One should be careful of making moral judgements and splitting hairs here. I am not arguing over the legality of the situation, just informing others of the cost aspect.

OK it was not illegal what happened, just a case of "lets see how much we can get away with charging". Good business people perhaps.

If you feel the need to visit Fishermans cottage, and are happy to pay such prices, go ahead and book. It is up to individuals to make their own decisions based on reviews written.

Enjoy the rest of your travels and St Ives if you visit. If you choose to book a St Ives/coastal cottage and wish to pay their prices then good for you. I know they are nice properties if you can afford them.

Lost on Earth
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

A lesson here is you pay your money and take your choice.

I always shop around.

You have simply been ripped off. For Example, if one shop had a washing machine at one price, you paid it then found another shop selling for less. You would feel ripped off. But then complain to the first shop or shout about it on the internet then that is bad form.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

Hi Andy, if you have proof that the same week next year is cheaper then that doesn't make sense and does imply that you were wrongly charged. But it may depend on when a Bank Holiday falls as those weeks are usually the most expensive. If you feel strongly that the company made a mistake in the price then I would pursue it if I were you. There is a big difference between paying more because of a mistake on the part of the owners, and paying more than the "going rate" for something.

You say the cottage next door was "similar", but it's very difficult to compare cottages because prices are based on all kinds of things, not just size. The quality of the fixtures and fittings, the amount of and quality of equipment provided, even the decor, all make a difference.

Also, prices can vary hugely from one week to the next. For example, I am staying in a cottage in the Lake District in the first wek in June. I am paying £630 for a week. The week before (the Bank Holiday week) the rental is £1100! I'm lucky in that I don't have to take my holidays in school holiday time.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

Andy, I just re-read your posts - was it April 2006 when this happened, or was that a typo?

Whitby, Ontario...
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

Does anybody have info on gwelanmor lodges in the lake district - opinions etc ? Thanks.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Ives Cottages aka Coastal Cottages high prices NOT recomm

Hi

You need to post this on the Lake District forum.

Wrong end of the country down here!