We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

We are arriving into to Heathrow on the 3rd of April. We have 5 days before we fly out again to Sweden. We would like to do the coast.

Brighton along the coast.

Is it easier to catch a train maybe to cornwall and then work back.

or just hire a car and start at Brighton and go along the coast until we reach Devon. Any suggestions. leave on the 4th of April back at Heathrow to fly out 9th of April in the afternoon. should we catch the train to get to one place quicker.

thank you

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

Be aware that this is the school Easter holidays so you will be advised to pre-book accomodation.

You could drive all along the south coast, although some is more scenic.

However, roads will be quite busy at this time.

Personally I would find one place to stay and go for day trips to see other places.

It will kind of depend on whether you are driving or relying on public transport as to where is recommended to stay.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

Hi, you say you have 5 days....if your driving from London to Cornwall, depending on which areas you start and finish at in those destinations that will take you around 5-6 hours...without stopping and taking in your views so 2 of your days will be in the car driving and as mentioned it will be busy with Easter traffic!! I would either pick Brighton/south coast area - Devon or Cornwall to see so you can see that area properly. Caz

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

The main roads don't have much of sea views, so you would need to take detours. This would take even more time. Agree with Caz - see a smaller area properly.

Suggestions -

ONE OF THESE

south coast from Brighton - Beachy Head, etc

New Forest and Bournemouth

Jurassic Coast east (Swanage to Weymouth)

Jurassic Coast west (Weymouth to Exmouth)

South Devon

Dartmoor

Exmoor

North Devon

Any region of Cornwall (but further to drive for such a short trip)

You need to decide whether you are going to hire a car as some of these will be more difficult without one.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 09:41
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

Thank you for this.Driving.

or should be get the train to cornwall and drive back to London via the coast.

any other suggestions.,

thank you in advance

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

thank you for you help. we will definitely be hiring a car now. i think in London

travel down to Brighton.

Also still wanted to do Devon and Cornwall.

could it be done in 5 days there is only 2 of us. both mid 50's.

thanks

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

I would recommend hiring a car for the whole time for greater flexibility. Cornwall is a long way from London for such a short trip - particularly when the roads are likely to be congested.

My personal choice would be to find a nice place to stay somewhere on the Jurassic Coast. You could then take more time to see some lovely coastal scenery and visit places at leisure.

You could also stop off at Winchester and visit the cathedral, or take the route which passes Stonehenge if that interests you.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

Hi Scorpio

It can be done, but you willl be spending most of your time inthe car if you want to drive along the coast, which will be a lot of minor roads, as the main route is not coastal.

If you are happy to do this, then you need to get a good map and plan your route. Again, bear in mind you may have a problem with accommodation if you don't book ahead, as Easter is a major time for travel.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

Hi, if you really want to do all these places then I would get a train from London to Cornwall and hire a car one way back.

Now you have to decide how far into Cornwall you want to go.....are you just wanting to go to "Cornwall" or is there a particular part you "must see"??

If It's just wanting to go to Cornwall I would reccomended Falmouth, It's easily accessable by train...main line London to Truro then branch line to Falmouth. Falmouth is a lovely seaside town with plenty to offer on a limited timescale. Pendennis Castle, ferry across the estuary to St.Mawes castle do a few boat trips one along the Helford the other up the River Fal to our city Truro.

Caz

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

Hi there

I agree. Either take the train down then hire car back to London or select one area, and use that as a base from which to explore the surrounding area. Cornwall has an extensive south coast with many places that should be on the agenda if you had the time. Personally, I would rather spend 4-5 days in one location and really get a feel for it, and take a few rides out to other areas/places of interest than spend hours in a car and get a fleeting snapshot of lots of places where at best, you might get a couple of hours in each.

Bear in mind too that there are many places along the south coast where the road is nowhere close to it, it's not like you'll have a 300 mile trip with the sea on your left the entire time.

10. Re: london to cornwall the coastal area in 5 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2013, 19:28