We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay for a weekend during June

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
57 reviews
Best area to stay for a weekend during June

Hi all,

I am thinking of visiting Jersey for the first time for a weekend with my partner (Fri - Sun | 2 nights) but I am not sure which area is best to stay, as I've read mixed feedback in the forums.

St Helier seems to be the most central place but I've read that it's not that pretty. Also, what is the distance from the beach?

If the weather allows it, we will probably spend most of the day at the beach and then go for food and drinks in the evening.

Thanks in advance :)

11 replies to this topic
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
636 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

St Helier is the only large town on the island although there are lots of villages well worth a visit; for a weekend I'd stay there. The town itself has several beaches so it depends where you're staying, anywhere from almost on a beach to a mile or so away.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
850 reviews
2. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

The beaches of St. Helier aren't particularly popular with holidaymakers and you need to go to St. Brelade to get the most stunning, commercially popular beach although there are other beaches a bus ride away.

St. Helier is not a particularly attractive town but it is the main hub for restaurants/bars. If you want to stay in the St. Helier area, I would look at Havre des Pas which is the Victorian seaside part of town with a Lido with a sea water open air pool and some nice restaurants. De L'Etang, a small family run hotel and the Ommaroo Hotel (slightly bigger) are the two main options in the immediate area but there are other 3 star hotels there too.

One main advantage is that it is on the number 1 bus route so you can easily get to Gorey for some very nice restaurants. Jersey is small so you can easily get the bus to some of the main beaches. St. Helier is a 20 minutes walk into the main part of town from Havre des Pas.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

Hi Bob,

Will there be restaurants and bars around St Brelade? When I looked at the map I originally thought of staying somewhere there, although the accommodation seems limited. But most people on her advice to stay around St Helier if you are a first time visitor. Hence my confusion :)

Thanks for the help

Edited: 11 May 2018, 21:00
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
636 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

Not sure about bars but both St Brelade and St Aubin have quite a few restaurants - so I would expect bars & pubs too.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
850 reviews
5. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

There are a few restaurants in St. Brelade, the Crab Shack and its more expensive sister The Oyster Box. There is also a nice bar in St. Brelade overlooking the sea that also serves very good food. St. Aubin has more bars than Gorey and St. Brelade, but probably I would opt for Havre des Pas which is just outside of St. Helier, but easily accessible on foot or by bus. It will give you more of a holiday feel 'near the sea' in my opinion than staying in St. Helier itself.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

Thanks both. You would advice then Havre des Pas and not St. Brelade?

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
850 reviews
7. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

St Brelade is lovely but a bit out on a limb, however, you do have a great beach.There are several hotels but they are expensive and you will probably have to taxi or bus wherever you want to go. It is near the airport though.

Havre des Pas is easily accessible to St. Helier and the bus runs frequently to Gorey, you also have quite a choice of good restaurants and bars on your doorstep.

On balance, it all depends on what you want and what you want to pay and if you like to stroll to a range of restaurants/bars. You can always visit St. Brelade by bus for the day to experience the beach but I would probably go for Havre des Pas for a greater range of options.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

Thanks for the info Bob. Have a lovely Sunday

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
9. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

Hi Charlie, st brelades for the beautiful beach and there are several restaurants and pubs within walking distance (the tree house, pizza express, smugglers Inn, oyster box) or St Helier is more central. I think it's a lovely town, pedestrianised in the centre, loads of restaurants and bars, the harbour and the waterside development. I would recommend St brelades if you are mainly wanting to beach it, and hire a car if you can. The island is beautiful. Craggy cliffs up north, beautiful beaches in the south, 5mile surfy beach on the west and 2 amazing castles as well as all the history with fortresses dotted around. Its my favourite place (as if you can't tell! Lol) I'm going in August and staying at golden sands in St brelades. Can't wait!

Edited: 14 May 2018, 00:06
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
57 reviews
10. Re: Best area to stay for a weekend during June

Hi Allison. That's exactly what I've done. Booked accommodation at St Brelades and I've booked a car to pick up from the airport :)

Compared prices and it was roughly the same between the two areas, but I preferred the views from the St Brelades hotel

First time for me and my partner but it looks beautiful

Reply to: Best area to stay for a weekend during June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations