We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair friendly towns

London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchair friendly towns

After a skiing accident my wife is on crutches and can't walk far at all and we may be getting a wheelchair.

We'd love to do something this easter, but never having faced the notion of accessibility, we are unsure of where we can go that isn't going to be a real pain.

We live in London, and would love to spend a couple of days out of town.

Can anyone recommend any wheelchair friendly towns or regions that might be good for us to visit for a few days.

We love architecture, history and art as a starting point. And we have access to a car over the Easter break.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

I should have hope that due to new legislation most places are 'wheelchair friendly' these days.I spent three months in a wheelchair some time ago with a ruptured achilles tendon, and didn't encounter any problems in cafes/pubs/restaurants/shops etc. I would concentrate on say larger towns or holiday resorts rather than small hamlets which may not be up to new guidelines, but can't see you'd have a problem anywhere.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 02:03
London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

Holiday resorts are what I will give a wide berth to. :)

I guess plenty of towns have hills and the like and I'd like to avoid those if possible.

So, any towns - small or large that any one can put forward would be great.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

York, Cambridge, both are flat as pancakes and locals get altitude sickness stepping onto the kerb.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

Norwich is reasonably flat, and an interesting place to visit. Have you considered booking a power chair or scooter with shopmobility?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

Canterbury is a flat as a pancake too and has Shopmobility - but some of the side streets have cobblestone sections (although most of the pavements are ok) - I assume York along with many other 'pretty' places would have cobbled areas too (or maybe not - I've not been there)?

Redditch, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

Sice my wife has become diabled and has trouble walking we now spend our holidays in Westo-Super-Mare

We hire a shopmobility scooter and spend many happy hours around the mailnly predestianised town and the seafront and new pier. the whole town is very wheelchair friendy and the Lauriston hotel which cater for variouse disabilities allow us the keep the scooter indoors overnight. as seaside towns go you wont find much better.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

Tenterden is flat & has nice architecture.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

NormanE - it's wise to check how old the thread is and how relevant your comment is likely to be before adding any further comment.

Braaiseason - ditto.

The OP had posted 12 months ago........

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

Although your comments and recomendations may help others reading this because they find themselves in the same position as the OP, and for whatever reason do not / cannot post themselves.

10. Re: Wheelchair friendly towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 16:16