We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last night in England, hotel and rental car logistics

6 posts
Save Topic
Last night in England, hotel and rental car logistics

Hi All,

We're driving back up to London area on a Thursday afternoon from Cornwall to fly out of London Heathrow on a Friday 1PM flight.

Should we return the rental car when we arrive Thursday night and get a hotel near the airport, expecting we'll have to be at the airport about 3 hours early for a flight back to the US?

Or would you guys recommend a different plan?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,669 Reviews
from USD 123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,248 Reviews
from USD 125.80*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
747 Reviews
from USD 103.10*
3 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last night in England, hotel and rental car logistics

You could drive most of the way, and stop about an hour away from Heathrow ( perhaps around Ramsbury, Marlborough etc) . Then leave at a civilized time in the morning, drive an hour or so, leaving sufficient time to drop off the car at Heathrow.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last night in England, hotel and rental car logistics

I live just outside Marlborough and I work on 90 minutes to the Terminal door (and in June it took 2.5 hours) , without dropping a car in the process .... so I wouldn’t recommend that. I’m flying to the US later this year with a 1300hrs take off- I have a car service from home booked for 0830 and I don’t have a deport to find, paperwork to check and shuttle to a Terminal.

I would say you need to much closer in say around Windsor or at Heathrow. Personally I would get rid of the car the day before and stay at Heathrow for the last night.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,642 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last night in England, hotel and rental car logistics

Or drop the car and stay in Windsor - it would add the cost of 2 taxis, but Windsor has to be better than Heathrow.

I agree with PMQ, with a transatlantic flight at stake, Marlborough - despite its charms - is too far to risk. An accident on the M4 and you are looking at 2 new tickets.....

Reply to: Last night in England, hotel and rental car logistics
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted