We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
26 helpful votes
3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

We are a family of mum, dad and 3 boys aged 15, 13 and 10. We're planning 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013. The boys are very sporty and social but also enjoy the odd museum and cultural event. I am thinking a week in each of England, Scotland and Southern ireland but am happy to hear alternatives. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on an itinerary. I love the idea of a hire car and B&Bs. Many thanks!

Essex
Level Contributor
32,230 posts
69 reviews
214 helpful votes
1. Re: 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

Your basic plan sounds good.

Finding rooms in B & B's that cater for 5 people, could be a bit of a 'sticking point' though. Not impossible, but they are somewhat more thin on the ground!. Once you have worked out what you want to see, and where you want to go, get your accommodation research in and places booked as soon as you can - plenty on TA can help you with that, once you have mapped things out a bit, so don't despair!

You might find a camper-van will give you a bit more flexibility - but then you are not going to find that easy to drive/manage in many of our small villages with quirky and narrow streets, or find easy parking for it in congested city centres...

Only you can decide on your priorities!

Get started now looking at guidebooks and maps include ALL the family in your research - tell the boys they must give some ideas into the trip, or they are not allowed to moan about what you do....

Also be prepared that you will not be able to take a UK hire car across to Eire, or vice versa....

Edited: 13 May 2012, 22:16
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
266 reviews
191 helpful votes
2. Re: 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

Hi. Sounds fine as the basis for a trip. It is very broad though, quite difficult to advise without some more direction from you :)

Do you wish to spend most time in cities or countryside? 1 week in a single location within each country? Or multiple stops? Hiring a car is good, but covering large distances by motorway is no fun at all. One idea would be to 'do' England, drop your car, then take a train/flight to Edinburgh or Inverness, and hire a car for your time in Scotland, before moving on to Eire.

Abs :)

Solihull
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
14 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

>>>>>.I am thinking a week in each of England, Scotland and Southern ireland

I note you missed Wales and Northern Ireland off your list, not sure why.

The United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. These all use the Pound currency.

Southern Ireland (or just "Ireland") is a separate country in its own right, and uses the Euro currency.

You need to decide what you want to see and do while you are here to decide how long you spend in each place.

To get to Ireland (North or South) you need to go across water so have to consider that as part of your travels (ferry or plane for example).

Do lots of planning, study a map, look at the distances between places, buy a guide book and see what there is to do.

The South of England is warmer than the rest of the UK, so if you want to visit the seaside consider somewhere along the South coast of England (though there are also some other lovely parts of the coast all around the UK and Ireland).

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
224 reviews
254 helpful votes
4. Re: 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

If you will only have a week in each place you will need to have a fairly narrow area to see, particularly in England, but also in Scotland and Eire.

Will you be seeing the capital cities of each country? If so you probably want to stay in each for 2-3 days of your week. London is brilliant for museums and Dublin isn't bad either (if your sons like sport they may like the Croke Park Experience and GAA Museum):

visitlondon.com/attractions/…major-museums

visitdublin.com/see_and_do/Museums_and_Galle…

(my knowledge of Scotland is not good - sorry! - I'll leave that up to other posters!)

As for itineraries beyond that... There are loads of places I could recommend but you wouldn't be able to see all of them in a week! Do you want cities or countryside? Would you want to drive to a new place each night?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
26 helpful votes
5. Re: 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

Thanks so much for the food for thought. We're keen on spending some time in London. Cricket is a big thing in our family. Don't need beaches. The golf courses of Scotland are an attraction (for them,,,not me!) and more keen on the country side than the cities in Scotland. The Harry Potter Castle would be great! Skipped Wales and Northern Ireland just because of the time factor. Happy to take trains and planes to accomodate the short time we're there but not the boat across the Irish Sea (did that years ago and never again!). The countryside, people and history of Ireland are the main attractions. Thanks again for all your thoughts.

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
6. Re: 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

Thanks Mr. Riotstar for sharing wonderful information with us. Well ! This information is really helpful for all. I really appreciate your work, keep it up.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
7. Re: 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

If you are travelling around the UK and your boys like fun fairs, Europe's largest travelling fun fair, The Hoppings, is on in Newcastle upon Tyne. Over one 100 rides and stalls ranging from the classics to the modern, get together for the last full week in June (22nd - 29th)

Newcastle is also a perfect stop over just before/after Scotland with so much to offer on the northumberland coast (holy island/Tynemouth Priory/Hadrians Wall etc)

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
22 helpful votes
8. Re: 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

By the time you've got over your jet lag and spent 3 days sightseeing in London, you'll only have 3days max to see more of England and travel to Scotland. That's fine if you're happy to do a touring-type holiday, but you will inevitably drive past a great deal of interesting places. You might consider stopping off in York, then in Northumberland (hexham, alnwick etc) to visit Hadrian's Wall and Alnwick Castle (v.good "poisons" garden in Alnwick Castle) before crossing the border into Scotland. Alternatively, although your schedule's pretty tight already, you could consider routing past a cricket match (Scarborough is a nice place to watch cricket and is not far off your route North).

www.ecb.co.uk/stats/fixtures-results/…

9. Re: 3 weeks in the UK in June 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 13:15