We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European Masterpiece Cosmos Tour 27 Days Advice Wanted

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
European Masterpiece Cosmos Tour 27 Days Advice Wanted

EUROPEAN MASTERPIECE EUROPEAN MASTERPIECE

Tour Code - 5271

27 days London to London

France, Spain, Italy, Greece, San Marino, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Germany, Holland

We are looking at doing this tour in 2012. It will be a once in a lifetime trip owing to health problems so we want to see as much as possible. Has anyone been on any or this particular Cosmos tour? I have read some reviews that say the breakfast is cold cuts and buns is this correct also? Thanks in Advance!

Essex
Level Contributor
31,995 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: European Masterpiece Cosmos Tour 27 Days Advice Wanted

Cosmos is a successful company - probably for good reason, although personally I have never been on ANY of their tours.

Breakfast is 'buns and cold cuts' your post seems to suggest that is 'horror' to you!!'.

Well, breads, cold meats & cheeses are very common 'continental' Breakfast offerings in Europe. Travel is about learning about all the customs of the places you are going to, eh?? Go with the flow and enjoy!!

I have to mention that when I was in 'Oz' many years ago, it was only ONE place in the whole of my travels that I still found steak for breakfast!! Times they is a changing!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: European Masterpiece Cosmos Tour 27 Days Advice Wanted

I haven't been on this tour but I went on a couple of their (much shorter) tours with my late father when he was quite old, feeling it would be easier than steering him around on my own. Overall they offer good value for money and you never seem to be on the road for too long at a time. There is also usually a fair amount of time to wander about on your own. Some of the hotels are a bit outside the centre in some places. In their brochure or website you'll probably see wording like 'overnight in the Florence area' which means you won't be staying in Florence itself. Other hotels are more central. You will probably find that hotels vary quite a lot, from just about passable to really good. This is probably inevitable as the nature of the places you visit will vary and Cosmos doubtless have to scout around for the best deals they can get to keep prices reasonable. Breakfasts will vary, from a buffet in some places to basic 'continental breakfast' in others. It's all part of the rich tapestry of life!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: European Masterpiece Cosmos Tour 27 Days Advice Wanted

Thanks so much for your reply, sorry didnt mean to sound shock horror lol, yep I could learn to enjoy buns and cold cuts lol. Cheers!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: European Masterpiece Cosmos Tour 27 Days Advice Wanted

Thanks for taking the time to reply, sounds like it is the go for us! Cheers!

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
5. Re: European Masterpiece Cosmos Tour 27 Days Advice Wanted

Yes just did this tour and have much to say about it.

Well first things first Cosmos is a budget company only one step up from Contiki in fact. Most people agree that if you order tour companies on price the bottom rung is Contiki, Cosmos, Trafalgar, Golbus (big sister of Cosmos) then top of the heap Insight. I knew before I left is was budget, some on my tour didn't however.

For the tour itself, its very fast paced, but great to get a glimpse of the best western europe has. You go to Greece where most multi country tour don't. You do get several stays of two nights and as far as the itinerary goes its brilliant. The hotels are *** although I had two that were **** and two that were beyond shocking. I got a hot breakfast (eggs or bacon) 2 mornings but most were OK with cornflakes and fruit, cheese and sometimes toast.

Now I think Cosmos is good value for money however it is budget and that does show. First the hotels used are WAY out of the city centre so no walking into the main sights. Some were about ten but some about 20 minutes drive out. This kind of forces you to *buy* the optional dinners @ about 50 euro each. That adds up I can tell you, you do get about 9 included dinners and they were OK, not flash but not bad either. My tour director *sold* the optional tours very aggressively to the point to singling out women traveling alone to bully them into buying these tours. but I am sure this can happen on all tours and all tours can have bad tour directors. Next we had to carry our own bags up to the rooms in many hotels because the hotel refused to do it, even though Cosmos had paid them to. However strong people on the tour always helped those to were unable to to this and the driver always helped too.

The coach was great and I sure had enough leg room but on the Masterpiece tour you will spend every second day travelling OVER 550Ks sometimes over 600, however you do stop often.

If this tour is for you to see a lot in a short amount of time and you are fit then go and have a blast, if its your "dream holiday" and a once in a lifetime trip that could never be repeated and your not fit and healthy then I would advise you to go on another tour that spends longer in each place or go with another company. This tour has some very early starts 6am is normal and some late nights, almost no relaxing time unless you skip the optional tours and stay in at the hotel @ night, but remember your hotel could be miles from anything interesting but should be close to public transport.

I will be happy to answer any other questions, I would do this tour again but I am young and fit and it was used to get just a glimpse of places I hope to see again!

6. Re: European Masterpiece Cosmos Tour 27 Days Advice Wanted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2011, 15:17