We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Around UK in 10 Days

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Around UK in 10 Days

Hi

We are flying in from Australia and have booked a car. for 10 days. we want to see as much of the UK as we can in that time. there will be 3 of us.

We will arrive at Stansted Airport @ 1400 and pick up the car

7th Arrive and head to Cambridge then on to Peterborough and stay 1 night.

8th LeavePeterborough through Stamford for York and stay 2 nights

10th Leave York for Edinburgh Stay and 2 Nights

12th Leave Edinburgh for via Lakes district to Chester and stay 1 night

13th Leave Chester for Gloucester and stay 2 nights

15th Leave Gloucester for Bath and stay 1 night

16th Leave Bath for Oxford and stay 1 night

17th Leave Oxford for Stansted Airport then fly back home that evening.

I know It looks pretty jammed packed so please let me know if I am crazy or not.

Can someone also give me approximate driving times between places. Google times I assume dont take into consideration road and traffic conditions.

Apprieciate your feedback Thanks

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,662 Reviews
from USD 122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,249 Reviews
from USD 112.50*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
746 Reviews
from USD 102.40*
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,183 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

What time of year is your trip?

My immediate thought is about immediately driving off in a strange country after a flight from Australia. We were whacked on arrival there from UK, even after a few nights in Singapore on the way, and were very glad we weren't driving home from the airport when we got back to UK. Unless you're very experienced travellers, pilots maybe, who more or less know how alert you'll be, I'd not want to meet you on the road.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

on the 7th I would stay in Cambridge, you will see very little of it just passing through on the way to Peterborough and it is worth a stop, An evening in Cambridge with a quiet stroll along the backs will be just what you need after a long flight. Perfect. Peterbrough, sadly, has nothing to recommend it. Just another urban sprawl.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

www.viamichelin.com has a routeplanner that gives reasonably accurate "optimum" driving times - none of these routeplanners allow time for driver rest-breaks, traffic hold-ups or rush-hour congestion.

Some of your destinations are a little unusual - peterborough is not exciting, as already pointed out, I would stay in the Lakes rather than Chester and then maybe explore some of mid or North Wales going south, and Gloucester is quite pleasant but would not be on my list of "must-sees". But, it's your holiday! Hope it goes well.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,802 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

It seems to me that you really enjoy spending time in cars.

Why don't you eliminate some of the destinations on your itinerary and spend some more time enjoying ( and being in) the remaining ones?

Your Edinburgh-Lake District-Chester leg, for example, will have you in the car for 6-7 hours. (unless you don't need to eat, or use the loo) So you won't spend any time IN the Lake District--it will all just whir by. (You hope, anyway--you may get behind a Coach doing 30 mph and then reach Chester by 8 pm)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

I like driving a lot so won't knock that part of it, but there are a couple of things I'd pick up on:

1. Peterborough (no offence) - not much there of interest for the tourist, except the cathedral. Not worth a detour and certainly not an overnight stop IMO. So I too would stop in Cambridge, it's only a sort drive from Stansted so you will be able to get over some jetlag there I think

2. The two days/legs I'd seriously look at are the 12th-14th. Edinburgh-Lakes-Chester is just too far to really see anything, so I agree a stop in the Lakes is probably a better bet. And I also don't know why Gloucester merits 2 days. Again there's a cathedral but not much else, although there are nice side trips you can do to the Cotswolds, Forest of Dean and South Wales so it's not a bad idea, I'm just curious about it

3. Give some thought t o the roads you might want to use. The quickest way from A-B is invariably the most boring and least visually interesting. So if you like to travel on smaller roads, from which you will see much more of the countryside, you need to factor this in and perhaps rein in some of the ambition. I'm a countryside person myself, so I'd do this and take out a city or two.

4. Final thing, there's no coast (unless you use the A1 all the way from York to Edinburgh and detour a tiny bit to the Northumberland coast). I think a bit of seaside is essential to get a grasp of the UK, we are an island nation and our history and culture has been defined by our relationship with the sea

Just a thought. Have lots of fun, and I too am interested what time of year you're planning for this - it makes lots of difference to the driving

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

<<we want to see as much of the UK as we can>>

What does that mean?

Does that mean you are content merely driving around the UK, with no or only cursory stops (your current itinerary) ?

Or does it mean you are under the illusion you'll have bags of time at each of these places. Because you won't.

p.s. unless you chose Peterborough because you are seeing relatives or friends, as per previous replies, stop overnight in Cambridge. On your current plans, you would be unlikely to be in Cambridge before 4pm. What did you plan to see there before heading off, massively tired, an hour or so later? ( OTOH, if an hours sightseeing counts as "seeing as much as possible" at each place, then probably your itinerary works for you. )

Edited: 24 May 2010, 19:49
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

OK, just thought of another one: No point "doing" both Cambridge and Oxford IMO. Both offer a broadly similar experience (*runs and ducks for cover*)

You need to save all the time you can, so cut one out (probably Oxford, because you will need the Cambridge stop to get some sleep) and use the time for something else

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

The sad problem here is that you need either more time or less destinations, and I expect flights in and out are fixed. Is your accommodation booked? If not, I would urge you to only drive to Cambridge the first night and stay there, July is busy but the schools will not be out and many Tourist Info offices can book you a B and B or similar for the next night, then you can see how it goes. Your present itinerary only allows for meals in drive thru MacDonalds, and ont of the charming things about the UK is driving through a village, spotting a pub, having a meal and a walk round. From Australia, the UK looks small on a map, but driving it is a different matter. Good luck :-)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,810 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

Few of the places you want to go are car friendly. With a few minor modifications your trip can be done by public transport. I'd also say that several of your places - York / Chester, Oxford / Cambridge effectively duplicate each other and as others point out Gloucester isn't that much of a tourist draw except as a day trip

7th - coach to Cambridge

9th - train to York

11th - train to Edinburgh

13th/14th - hire car and visit part of the Highlands / Kingdom of Fife, return car - or do two day tour from Edinburgh (plenty of companies offer them)

15th (or late on 14th) - Fly to Bristol, take coach / train to Bath

16th - Train to London

17th - Transfer to Stansted

Edited: 24 May 2010, 20:55
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,810 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Around UK in 10 Days

And as Ozzies, I'm surprised you have expressed zero interest in the multitude of Captain Cook sites in North Yorkshire

http://www.captaincook.org.uk/