We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Sim card for travelling to mainland Europe?

Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Sim card for travelling to mainland Europe?

Hey all, my partner and I are travelling to Europe from Australia in a few weeks and would like to stay in contact with family and friends.

We are in the UK for 5 days at the start of the trip, then mainland Europe for the remaining 5 months

Do you now of any competitive deals for a pay as you go sim only plan with cheap rates in Europe.

Ive looked at Vodafone, they look ok so far...

Any advice/experiences would be appreciated

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,430 Reviews
from USD 123.60*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,165 Reviews
from USD 126.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
554 Reviews
from USD 111.50*
East Midlands
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Sim card for travelling to mainland Europe?

Given that you are only spending a small amount of time in the UK, perhaps a post on one of the Eurpean forums may be worthwhile? It might be difficult for UK residents / visitors to advise you on a SIM card that's suitable for many European countries except the UK (given your short stay).

I would consider getting a SIM in Europe for Europe rather than in the UK for Europe (if you see what I mean). If you are spending massive amounts of time in one country, use their SIMs. If it's small amounts of time in lots of countries then it probably won't matter where you get your SIM from.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,421 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Sim card for travelling to mainland Europe?

Not even sure you can get a Sim for Europe as Europe consists of a number of different countries each with their own phone systems

East Midlands
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Sim card for travelling to mainland Europe?

Indeed. What I was aiming for was a "get your SIM card in a European country whilst in Continental Europe" message rather than a "tie yourself to British SIMs for mostly continental travelling" message. I didn't write it very well.

As an aside, Orange have tie ups in the UK, France and Spain as a starting point. My UK Orange SIM seems to connect easily and is relatively good value when I'm in these two countries.

Edited: 07 April 2010, 22:24
4. Re: Best Sim card for travelling to mainland Europe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 17:18