We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

Long Beach...
2 posts
Save Topic
My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

I’ve never been out of my hometown before, so this is kind of a big deal for me. My really well-off cousin is here visiting us after nearly seven years. We got to catching up and he told me all about his travels. Meanwhile, all I had to share with him was my menial part-time job and my uneventful high school life. He told me he wanted to take me with him on a multiple city singles tours trip in Europe, with all the expenses paid for. I don’t know what to do, should I go? After all, I think it’s a good experience before I head out for college. I’m just really nervous and don’t know what to expect.

9 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

I'm nervous too, because you haven't told us where you plan on going!

P.S. this looks like BS to me and troll behaviour! I don't think you are ready to leave small town America and see the real world; so prove us wrong!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
584 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

You’ve never been out of Long Beach???Ha! It’s in the middle of solid cities in Southern CA.

Edited: 16 August 2018, 12:06
Essex
Level Contributor
31,536 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

Time to grow up, methinks.....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

Sure. Go. You'll have fun.

Long Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

@ManS0L0 In case you missed it, I mentioned we were going to multiple cities in Europe. I didn't bother asking him to enumerate which cities since I'm not sure if I'm going anyway

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

Maybe.

Edited: 16 August 2018, 15:08
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,905 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

'He told me he wanted to take me with him on a multiple city singles tours trip in Europe, with all the expenses paid for [sic].' This sounds interesting up to the phrase 'singles tours trip' which could be horrendous. If by that your cousin means a multi city trip that's another thing altogether.

'I don’t know what to do, should I go?' What about the trip appeals, and what does not appeal? Why would you want to go or what would be the benefits in staying home? 'After all, I think it’s a good experience before I head out for college.' I can think of one or two benefits.

'I’m just really nervous and don’t know what to expect.' No one knows with certainty before their first overseas trip. You can stay with what's familiar or you can take a first step into the big, big world.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

Get a passport and go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?

If this is a whistlestop tour with a group, the chances are you might be spending all your time with the same people, just sitting in the bus a lot of the time and sleeping in hotels on the more boring outskirts of the cities in question, not seeing very much except the same people against fleeting glimpses of different backgrounds, possibly including a fair number of commercial outlets giving the organisers concessions for bringing a busload of visitors.

But maybe that's my prejudice. Without knowing in detail what the tour consists of (and not just what cities they say they're visiting, but what actually they're offering in each city - or is it just a massive party wagon?), it's hard to comment. You can''t be expected to decide without knowing as much, so ask, and see if it appeals to you.

Edited: 16 August 2018, 16:17
Reply to: My cousin invited me on a trip. Should I go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted