We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Airport car rental

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick Airport car rental

We have booked with Europcar (south terminal)and want to know if there is a shuttle bus or equivalent transport to where you actually pick up your reserved vehicle or is it easy walking distance?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,590 Reviews
from USD 119.20*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from USD 107.50*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from USD 121.80*
5 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
11,909 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Airport car rental

No shuttle. It's just a short walk, the cars are literally parked beside the terminal. You need to follow signs from arrivals and take the lift down to the lowest roadway level. It's less than five minute walk from the arrivals area.

Remember to inspect the car with a fine tooth comb before you drive away, and check it against the existing damage sheet. if you don't know why I said that, searc for stories about Europcar and damage - plenty on this forum and other places.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Airport car rental

Thanks for quick reply and for advice regards vehicle inspection before we drive off. This is our first experience with EuropCar Rental. Our last trip to the UK we rented from Hertz and all went well but I have heard horror stories and what can happen if you don't carefully check out the vehicle you rent. thanks for the heads-up on Europcar. Assume all car rentals are alike, both in the UK and elsewhere.

england
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Airport car rental

I've rented from Europcar and apart from a missing hubcap (added to the damage sheet when we mentioned it) no problems. However I treat all car hire companies as crooks until they show they are not. So I check for damage, usually get the sheet changed and always take comprehensive photographs, including bumper, boot and inside the car. Keep any receipts for petrol.

If you dont have full insurance cover expect them to push it. We take out stand alone cover, I'd still check for missing hubcaps as even comprehensive insurance doesnt usually cover the wheels.

In Canada we were warned that if a tyre blew it had to be replaced with the identical make or they'd charge us for a new one - nice scam that.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Airport car rental

Thanks for info. We are rookies when it comes to car rentals so appreciate advice given by those in the know. As tired as we will be after an overnight flight, we will definitely take the time to go over the vehicle in every way. We are insured up to our eyeballs and expect the upsell which is part of doing business. Cheers

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,797 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Airport car rental

If you are “as tired as we will be” I hope you’re not planning on driving too far in that condition? Fatigue is a major factor in bang road accidents.

Reply to: Gatwick Airport car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted