We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in London

1 post
Save Topic
Travel in London

Hi, I am going to London in a few weeks, and have couple questions about how to get around and what not.

When I arrive at Heathrow airport, I'd like to travel to Marble Arch from the airport somewhat cheaply. (So not by cab or expensive xpress trains.) What's the best, cheap way to do this? (Subway, train, bus?)

I will be staying in a hotel around Marble Arch, however I am going to see a friend out in Guildford during my stay. I know this is about an hour away, so I don't want to pay out tons of money in cab fares. About what would I be looking at in fares with the subway/ train for this trip, and what station should I get on/ off?

On that note, I read about something called an Oyster card. Can this take me to Guildford, or does that go outside this card's zone? (Should I even get one of these cards in the first place? My stay in London will only be for 4 days, and the traveling I will be doing is the trip to and from the airport, as well as this trip into and back from guildford.)

Edited: 15 May 2018, 23:12
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,680 Reviews
from USD 122.50*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,252 Reviews
from USD 125.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
747 Reviews
from USD 102.50*
2 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in London

Yes get an Oyster card at Heathrow underground station and that will take you on all trains and buses within the London area.

Take the Underground to your hotel

For Guildford take the underground to Waterloo station and buy a ticket for Guildford at the ticket office there as it is beyond the oyster card zone.Trains to Guildford run every 15 minutes or so.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in London

content.tfl.gov.uk/large-print-tube-map.pdf

From Heathrow with only one change of line, take the Piccadilly line to Holborn ( about one hour journey time ) and there change to the Central line ( orange ) for Marble Arch station if that is the one nearest to your hotel.

Reply to: Travel in London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted