We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short tour to Wales

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Short tour to Wales

I have a couple for days spare while in Liverpool before moving on and I was thinking I would love to visit Portmerion and the Snowdonia area. Does anyone know off any good tours that go there. I don’t have a car. thanks

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,594 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short tour to Wales

Hi you are unlikely to find a tour that goes to Portmerion from Liverpool

So you might have to use public transport

Some suggestions to get you started but please be aware I am not a regular rail user so there might be better options

Train from Liverpool to Bangor via Chester then bus to Portmerion

Use www.nationalrail.co.uk for trains out of Liverpool

For public transport in North Wales use www.travelinecymru.com

There are small narrow gauge trains that will take you into Snowdonia too.

Sorry I can’t give more specific details as I don’t want to mislead or confuse you but at least it gets your thread started.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 16:23
Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short tour to Wales

Thanks for that info. Very useful.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Short tour to Wales

I don't know of any tours either. Assuming you have two days (one night), you may be able to do something like this. It's a bit ropey, but it might work...

Day 1: train to Conwy (via Chester). Visit the castle, walk the walls and then bus to Caernarfon (or maybe train to Bangor then bus to Caernarfon). Get there in time to visit the castle, and stay overnight.

Day 2: take the Welsh Highland Railway* to Porthmadog, then a bus or taxi to Portmeirion. Spend a few hours there, then catch the Ffestiniog Railway* up to Blaenau Ffestiniog. There, change to a mainline train back to Liverpool (probably changing at Llandudno Junction and Chester, I think).

I haven't looked up any of the times to see how practical these connections are - will leave that up to you, using www.nationalrail.co.uk for mainline trains and www.traveline.cymru for buses.

* Both these railways are steam heritage railways, run by volunteers. They're great fun and very historic, but they will only have a few trains a day, and may be prone to delays or cancellations - steam locomotives are pretty temperamental. They don't appear on the National Rail site - see www.festrail.co.uk. You may want to research if there's a bus for a more reliable back-up plan!

Mentioned in this post
Conwy
Conwy
Conwy County, UK
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Caernarfon
Caernarfon
Gwynedd, UK
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
Porthmadog
Porthmadog
Gwynedd, UK
Blaenau Ffestiniog
Blaenau Ffestiniog
Snowdonia National Park, UK
Llandudno Junction
Llandudno Junction
Conwy County, UK
The National
The National
465 Reviews
Belfast, UK
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short tour to Wales

Wow. Thank you for all that. It’s hard to know what is available when u are on the other side of the world.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,110 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short tour to Wales

You don't need a tour! There are a number of ways to get to Portmeirion by public transport. A very enjoyable method would be to go down the OCnwy Valley by train from Llandundo Junction and than take the Festiniog Railway from Blaenau Festiniog to Minffordd, which is a short walk away form the Italianate Village. But this method mkight be a bit of a chor eif you have anything more than a small bag.

So on balance I'd go with the Bangor suggestion for practicality and convenience. Stay in either Porthmadog or Caernarfon.

Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
Porthmadog
Porthmadog
Gwynedd, UK
Caernarfon
Caernarfon
Gwynedd, UK
Reply to: Short tour to Wales
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted