We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

California
Level Contributor
128 posts
20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

[I couldn't find an all of Europe Forum. I would love this to be moved to one if there is one.]

My just 20 year old son is going on a three week trip and will be hitting London, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Barcelona, and Ibiza. All transportation (mostly air) between destinations will have been paid for, and all lodging will have been paid for. This is our (overly generous) high school graduation gift to him, possible because he chose to stay home and attend a very inexpensive college, instead of going off to one of the way more expensive ones.

I want to pay for his food, and travel within cities, and any other necessary or educational expenses, like tours (probably won't do too much of this), and such, but want him to pay for anything else - alcohol, souvenirs, etc.. He should have about $1,000 of his own money with him. What is a good average daily budget for the things we want to pay for? Oh, and, despite the fact that we've already paid for the bulk of things, and made it pretty easy on him, I want him to have a college-student type of budget, where he has to be smart, and not extravagant, and make some sacrifices - walk, trains, few or no taxis, picnic food, "fast food," very few to no sit-down restaurants, etc..

I love tripadviser. I'm glad to be back for yet another trip. I only wish I were going on this one. :) Thank you for any help or thoughts you care to share.

21 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
20,006 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

Well, if he has his own money for the pub, then £30/€35 a day to cover food, public transport and entrance admissions should be enough, as long as he sticks to cheaper pub meals, street food, sandwiches etc.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 04:41
Level Contributor
79 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

Hello, in my personal opinion he will need £80 per day. This will keep him comfertable. london barcelona and amsterdam are not cheap. £50 a day on food and thats being sensible.

Amsterdam can be expensive depending on what he is doing there , most people who go there for window shopping and coffee will be £200 a day for sure.

30-35 euros would be a tight budget living on mcdonalds and not much else in these big cities

hope this helps

Edited: 15 May 2018, 04:43
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
3. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

No idea what his dining habits are but £50 a day for food would be £30 too much for me.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
111 reviews
4. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

£50 per day in the UK

€65 per day in the euro zone.

I hope he isn’t going to carry cash??

Two best options IMO

1. Set up a travel account with an ATM debit card. Fidelity Cash Management is my choice, easy to do on line, no fees charged for ATM withdrawals world wide.

2. Credit card that does not charge forex fees. (Particularly handy towards the end of his stay in the UK so he doesn’t end up with ££ to convert, ditto the Eurozone.

You can monitor both online if you wish

www.xe.com

Will give you an idea of exchange rates which change daily.

When we landed in London April 12, £100 cost us $142 US

On May 11, $135 US

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
651 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

I know this doesn’t answer your questions, but when you say he will have $1,000 ‘with him’ — I hope you mean he will have a credit card and a 1,000 budget. He really doesn’t need to travel with that much cash. Along those lines, can he take a credit card that you pay,that he can use for meals and museums with a budget. If it was my kid, I would want them to make good decisions and trade offs within their budget, but I wouldn’t want them to skip a museum because they wanted better food. Sounds like a fun trip!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,559 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

You really need to break it down. Amsterdam and London are both expensive for eating out although you can also each cheaply if you know where to go. If it is for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus transport in both these places then even eating fast food 24/7 will be a challenge on £30.

In London most museums are free. In Amsterdam they are expensive. The Rijksmuseum is €17.50, same for the Van Gogh. Amsterdam is a walkable city so transport is not such a big deal as say London or Barcelona.

I think you need to post on individual forums for these cities.

Level Contributor
79 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

where can you eat 3 meals per day in a capital city for £20 per day that isnt mcdonalds ? from first hand experience £50 a day is a safe amount per day without having to worry. and yes this guy is right.. carrying casg is a no go, highly trained pick pockets in all of the places he is going to

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
8. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

"where can you eat 3 meals per day in a capital city for £20 per day that isnt mcdonalds ? "

I have no idea and have not got a clue how much McDonalds meals cost either.

I can easily get by on £20 a day for food. others require more money.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
20,006 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

He's 20 years old and I don't think he'll want to eat at expensive restaurants every day.

First time I went to Amsterdam I was 19 and was quite happy to live on McDonalds and Chipsy King. ;-)

Level Contributor
79 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money

i have been to all of the mentioned cities and can only tell you the recommendation from my personal view. everyone is different, i spent £350 in 4 days in amsterdam on food and drink, a canal boat rental and a couple of tricycle cabs. dont get me wrong.. i ate well, but all was fast food and snacks. travelling around london amd barcelona can be pricey. hope he has an amazing time its a great plan :)

Reply to: 20 year old son, UK, Netherlands, Spain - how much money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted