We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK visa application question

Orange County...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
UK visa application question

On the online application, there is a question that asks you which countries you have visited in the last 10 years, and each time you enter a country, fields open up for purpose and date of visit. So, does this mean I have to list the last visit to each country visited (in the last 10 years) or every visit to every country in that period? TIA.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,581 Reviews
from USD 119.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
736 Reviews
from USD 107.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,222 Reviews
from USD 122.00*
10 replies to this topic
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,133 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK visa application question

When I help my family for application,yes you list every trip to every country. Date of arrival,date of departure,purpose for Visit.....holiday etc

Even if you visit a country a few times,list it.

This will/should correspond with information stamped in your passport

Edited: 14 May 2018, 16:48
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK visa application question

At risk of stating the obvious, but best said early in the process. Noting your location (but not your nationality) I ought to point out that US citizens normally don’t need a visa for short visits to the UK.

There are variations with visas needed for some types of work or the existence of a criminal record. https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y

Orange County...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK visa application question

Thanks for both answers. I am not a US citizen.

This promises to be an incredibly painful application process. There ought to have been a gazillion trips over 10 years, not to mention that I will be repeating an application for each member of the family!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK visa application question

Add-on question: For standard tourist visits, is there a downside to asking for more than the default 6 month duration? Just because you can, no other specific reason. Makes it easier in the future, I was thinking. What is the recommendation here?

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK visa application question

I think it is a (really) bad idea to apply to stay for more than 6 months as a tourist, a scrutiny of this https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa makes if pretty clear that “up to 6 months” is the default setting, and that there are specific situations where more than six months is OK. Saying I plan to stay for 9 months as a tourist will guarantee close scrutiny and possible rejection.

If you mean the long term visa that allows multiple visits of up to six months - that is more like an economic decision. If you intend to visit more than seven times in five years it then becomes a cheaper way of doing it.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK visa application question

I didn't mean staying for 6+ months. It was, as you say, a question of multiple entries - the value this might provide and the convenience of not completing these tedious applications each time, possibly on short notice. Thanks for the concise answer: In any case, I have proceeded with the standard 6 month option.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,133 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK visa application question

It is only from experience and not a written rule but longer than 6 months often have been given to family members who wish to visit over say a 2/3 year period.

Our friend from Belarus has her son visiting couple of times a year and he has just applied and received a 5 year visa.

Good choice to stick with the 6 month is my opinion

London, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK visa application question

You've said you're a US citizen? If so there isn't any application you need to fill out. You don't need to apply for a visa for a visit.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK visa application question

Post #8, see post #3 “I am not a US citizen.”

London, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK visa application question

PMQuestions, I read that as 'I am', I must be going mad. Apologies!

Reply to: UK visa application question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted