We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone tried buying a SIM card on Amazon? Theres an orange card for for $50 10 gig data with amazon prime. I leave for my trip in 5 days. It has a lot of good reviews but worried being screwed $50.

Or is it possible to buy an Orange or French sim card in London?

Also any recommendations for SIM card for data only? I don't need to make any calls or texts at all. I will be in London 3 days and Paris for 7 days.

I'm trying to avoid buying 2 sim card. Or paying Verizon $10 a day for crap internet.

Thanks so much for your help! Sorry if this has been posted a lot, I tried searching but no luck.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,591 Reviews
from USD 119.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from USD 107.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from USD 122.00*
3 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

welcome,

apparently you didnt get the email.

roaming has been done away in the EU/UK.

If you are worried about getting screwed off amazon, then wait an buy it after you arrive.

just ask questions in the shop like you did here.

for what its worth, i have never seen a "data only" card. the way i see things, is that everyone wants data and its the more expensive part, so they toss in the other stuff for "free". it makes you feel better for getting screwed.

also, when you get there, have them set it up for you can google something to verify function. your google-fu is weak so you may want to google something simple.

then you will want to make sure you can top up or add minutes before you leave the UK. I have found that once you leave the country of purchase, its hard to add minutes.

good luck

Edited: 14 May 2018, 14:18
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,470 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Just buy a SIM when you get to London. the shop assistant will set it up and make sure it is working, and it will take only minutes. As above, there are no data roaming charges when you use it in France.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
France
France
Europe
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying SIM card on Amazon?

Data only SIMs are common but not for phones.

Have a look at both www.carphonewarehouse.com and www.three.co.uk to see what deals are to be had then visit on of the stores when you arrive.

$50 is expensive and 10GB is a lot of data

Reply to: Buying SIM card on Amazon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted