We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car insurance for foreign driver

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Car insurance for foreign driver

This question has been asked before and someone once posted a link to (probably) the one company who will do this. But despite searching here, I haven't been able to find the post or the link...

Does anyone know who might be able to insure my daughter as a named driver, when she only has an Australian licence and here on holiday?

Thank you.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,581 Reviews
from USD 119.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
736 Reviews
from USD 107.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,222 Reviews
from USD 122.00*
15 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
9,330 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

Hi Bella

This sort of question, I'd advise making Google your best friend.

Good luck 👌🏽

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

Google is never anyone’s best friend;-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
11,784 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

If this link from Honest John doesn’t help you could email him with your specific enquiry. We found him amazingly helpful when we wanted advice on what car would best suit our needs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvi…

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

Very old thread which might help

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
2,042 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

This may be helpful

https://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/short-term-car-…

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

Oh, I've googled and searched here but no luck..... far too many answers on google that have nothing to do with the specific question!

Thanks all, for the links - I'll let you know!

London
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

I believe that only the owner of the car can add a named driver to their existing policy.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

That will be me! She's not here for another few months, so have time to research.

Thanks!

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

Bella my insurance company Admiral said they would add a foreign driver when I asked about adding my daughter's boyfriend. I stressed many times that he had a German licence but they said yes. In the end we did not go through with it. Has your insurance company refused?

Mentioned in this post
Bella Restaurant
Bella Restaurant
416 Reviews
Wolverhampton, UK
Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car insurance for foreign driver

Introductory Note: please bear in mind that insurers change their requirements all the time, so I can’t guarantee that what I say below is still applicable today.

There are several difficulties in what you wish to do, but it’s not impossible. The first difficulty is that (as far as I know) there is no insurer who will provide what your daughter needs as a ‘standalone’ policy. Not all insurers who offer cover to foreign license holders will cover non-EU drivers and those that do will require them to be UK residents, not just visitors. She will only be able to be insured as a named additional driver on an existing or new policy held by you or another UK resident. In some cases, only family members are accepted. Even then, she might not be able to get comprehensive cover, but only “third party”, even if the policy to which she is being added gives comprehensive cover to the main driver. At least she would then have the minimum legal cover to enable her to drive your car.

That means you will have to change your own insurance to a company who is prepared to cover her. There’s then another difficulty, that some insurers will confirm that their policy would allow your daughter to be covered but will not quote a price for this add-on until after the main policy is set up. Catch-22. You may like the price for your own new policy but not like the price for the add-on when you receive it. The only way around that is to act swiftly after the main policy is granted and rely on your 14-day cooling off period to cancel it straight away.

These are the companies that I know have provided a main policy with add-on temporary cover for non-residents holding non-EU licences in the past (and may still do so, but you would need to check). I have listed them alphabetically, without prejudice:

Admiral – up to 120 days per year, will quote for add-ons before you take out the main policy and generally good pricing.

Aviva – annual policy including cover for named family members who live abroad. They will quote for that before you take out the policy (and prices are generally reasonable) but won’t quote for temporary add-ons to other policies until after the policy is set up.

Churchill – 90 day maximum, but won’t quote for the add-on until after you sign up (although generally they’re reasonably priced)

DayInsure – 28 day maximum, but expensive. Their policy was under-written by Aviva, but you couldn’t get the same policy directly from Aviva themselves.

Direct Line – maximum 90 days but the policy used to require that the person being added had a “clean record” (no more than one traffic offence such as speeding in the past 5 years). They won’t quote for the add-on until the main policy is set up (but they could be expensive).

Tesco – but I’m pretty sure they have now changed the rules to exclude non-residents as a result of them changing their under-writer.

RBOS – some options, and they may also be the underwriter for some of those mentioned above.

If you explore any of these options and obtain more up-to-date information, I’m sure there are others who will appreciate it too.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 23:54
Mentioned in this post
The Churchill Hotel
The Churchill Hotel
2,385 Reviews
York, UK
Reply to: Car insurance for foreign driver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted