We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire for London in May and June.

2 posts
Attire for London in May and June.

Hello,

I'll be in London from May to July. This is my first visit and I am kind of confused about what to pack. I figured a light leather jacket, boots, thin sweater, ballet shoes, leggings, jeans and dresses would be appropriate. Do women wear maxi dresses during these months? What is the latest trend these days?

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
1. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

Ballet shoes?

People wear whatever they are comfortable in. No trend

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,426 posts
217 reviews
2. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

Ballet shoes are what we call ballet pumps (if intended for outdoor use).

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

I've never heard of ballet pumps at all, but I'm a bloke. You need to be prepared for anything from chilly evenings, overcast rainy days when it's under 20 degrees C, or heatwave blazing sunshine days of 30+C. You can google the averages yourself, but the actual weather is rarely average. So take layers that you can carry around ; if your'e out for the day you might need shorts/T shirt/sunhat in the morning,a raincoat at lunchtime and a jacket to keep you warm in the evening.

But nobody gives a damn what you look like, or whether you follow any trend. People will be out and about in everything from bikini tops to bhurkas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

I’ve just seen a woman in my local supermarket wearing a maxi dress. Most of us doss around in jeans or leggings, t.shirts and trainers. A light shower proof jacket with a hood is a good idea. No one minds what you wear.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
195 reviews
5. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

I’ve never heard of a maxi dress. I think that you might just bring a few clothes and shop in Primark or similar when you get here.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
828 posts
6. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

You've pretty much got it worked out with your list. Just add a few tee-shirts and a waterproof coat of some sort and you should be ok

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,963 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

We don't know where you come from so don't know whether it will feel hot or cold for you.

The one vital item would be some really comfortable walking shoes as pounding the pavements takes it's toll on your feet and legs. Trainers would do.

Ballet pumps would probably only be useful for the hotel. Be sure they have gripping soles as many hotels have shiny marble floors which are very slippy.

So jeans/leggings, tee shirt, light sweaters, comfortable shoes for the day. If you are going somewhere smart in the evening the leather boots with same. Bring the dress, can't tell you the times I've packed dresses and nice shoes and never worn them. But I travel alone and don't do smart restaurants in the evening. Unless you do it's likely you will stay in your comfy clothes.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
7,623 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

If you have to ask what the trend is then I fear you will never attain it. Lead, don’t follow and wear what you like. If you intend to visit a garden centre a nice beige fleece from Cotton Traders would get nods of approval.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,850 posts
69 reviews
9. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

Good one Beauchamp!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,354 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Attire for London in May and June.

+1 to posts eight and nine.

'I figured a light leather jacket, boots, thin sweater, ballet shoes, leggings, jeans and dresses would be appropriate.' There isn't any way to determine what the weather will be next month, but if it's anything like last June you'd fry in a jacket, sweater or jeans.

'Do women wear maxi dresses during these months?' Some do, others don't. 'What is the latest trend these days?' In a nutshell: clothes - wear them. As mentioned, without a location in your profile we have no idea of what type of climate or weather you may be used to, and equally your inner thermostat is your own.

I'm planning on taking summer clothing for my trip next month but will check the forecast the day of departure and edit accordingly. As far as trends, they're a fabricated construct put forth to make us feel that whatever we've chosen to wear is 'wrong' or that we should buy garments because we've been told they are desirable. Sod that, wear what you'd like to wear.

Reply to: Attire for London in May and June.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted