We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Car rentals

I notice there are a number of post relating to car rentals in the UK. What I want to gauge is - is it recommended to pre-organise a rental from your home country (in my case Australia) or rent a car when you arrive. We will just need an ordinary sedan. We plan to pick up a car after disembarking from the ferry from Ireland in the South of England.

Looking for competitive prices but also reliability and good service just in case there are any problems. We are travelling in mid September and will need a car for about 12 days. We will return it to our pick up point and then train into London and use the wonderful public transport we have heard so much about or our final week in the UK.

Appreciate your wisdom.

Dona

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,731 Reviews
from USD 122.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from USD 124.70*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
769 Reviews
from USD 102.20*
5 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,990 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Car rentals

The ferry from Ireland does not go anywhere near the South of England!

It lands in the far west of wales, the choice of car hire is not large at Holyhead, if you want to be sure of a car at all, you will have to prebook. It is much the best way anyway. you then have the chance to compare prices. Thats if there is a choice at Holyhead. I can only remember seeing Hertz. Going back to Holyhead to drop the car would be a pain, but Hertz is country wide in the UK.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
2. Re: Car rentals

correction - Should be Wales - not South England. Back to school for me.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
441 reviews
3. Re: Car rentals

Last time I looked Hertz also have very reasonable one way charges (much cheaper than the US) £50 flat rate springs to mind. So you might choose to drive from ferry landing to destination airport .

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,949 posts
476 reviews
4. Re: Car rentals

I've just said in Dona's other thread that a one way rental makes far more sense!

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
5. Re: Car rentals

Appreciate your comments. I will continue with my research.

Thanks. Dona

Reply to: Car rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted