We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seen London now the rest?

Claremont...
1 post
Seen London now the rest?

We have three weeks to spend in UK and have already seen London several times. whats the best route to see the rest?

Thanks so much.

9 replies to this topic
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Seen London now the rest?

Firstly, get a guide book and see what takes your fancy.

Secondly, don't try and see too much in one go !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Seen London now the rest?

There is no single best route. There is so much to see in the rest of the UK, that I guarantee that any three week itinerary will miss a lot of worthwhile places. I once spent 2 weeks travelling from London to Scotland and back. It was a packed trip, and I pretty much bypassed all of Southern England, because I was choosing to concentrate on Scotland and northern England. I did not even see that much of Scotland, since I got no further north than Mull.

So my point is that you cannot see everything in three weeks, and you need to focus on particular areas.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 11:29
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
3. Re: Seen London now the rest?

You can’t see the rest in that short amount of time. Pick places that interest you and then try and build an itinerary.

Open jaw flights could be beneficial.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
1 review
4. Re: Seen London now the rest?

There's more to the UK than London and "the rest" that you can just zip round in three weeks. Time to do some reading and come back with a more specific question.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 15:58
Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Seen London now the rest?

In 3 weeks you have time to visit satisfactorily six or maybe seven destinations e.g. the Cotswolds, the Lake District etc. so focus on making a shortlist. Note that ‘Wales’ or ‘Scotland’ do not count as you have to choose regions within those countries.

Once you have done some reading you’ll rapidly acquire a list of a dozen+ possibilities which you’ll have to ruthlessly cull. And it’s a near certainty your guide books will bypass lesser known gems such as the Suffolk villages, the Shropshire hills and Rutland/Stamford that are also worthy of inclusion.

When your list is manageable return to the forum for advice on which places to remove and which others to consider, how to transfer between the places accepting that train travel is often better than car, and centrally located accommodation suggestions in your chosen areas.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,659 posts
220 reviews
6. Re: Seen London now the rest?

The best route may be train, car, plane or boat but....

When you say “the rest” do you really mean the rest of the U.K.? In other words Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland and England (minus London). That simply isn’t possible in the time you have, so you need to narrow it down.

Do you want to see cities, coast, mountains, countryside, villages? Do you like museums, parks, shopping, hiking, sailing, what? Will you have a car or are you planning to use public transport?

If you tell us what’s on your shortlist then we can help you group them and maybe suggest similar or better places and the best way to travel to/between them.

More information please.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Seen London now the rest?

You have time to rent a cottage somewhere for a week, and get to know an area well. Maybe hire a narrow boat on a canal.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
12,298 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Seen London now the rest?

Welcome to the forums, Jan.

I've been here in UK 65+ years and I've still not yet seen "the rest". 3 weeks will give you a chance to briefly visit a few areas and or cities and or towns and or villages in UK.

When is this trip ? Have you booked your flights yet, hopefully not as there can be benefits into flying into one location and from another. ?

To which of these counties does your initial thoughts refer - England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland ?

Do have a look at guidebook and come back with half a dozen cities, towns or countryside areas that catch your eye - then we can better advise on what's reasonable / most practical in your timescale.

And what kind of things particularly interest you ? Everywhere in UK is rich in interesting things to see and do, but your own preferences (unknown to us at present) would help shape suitable feedback

Edited: 12 May 2018, 19:23
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Seen London now the rest?

You night find these helpfiul:

nationalparks.gov.uk/quick-guide-to-the-uks-…

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/days-out

https://www.visitengland.com

http://www.visitwales.com

https://www.visitscotland.com

Reply to: Seen London now the rest?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted