We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entire trip in London?

3 posts
Save Topic
Entire trip in London?

I would love to see if anyone had any suggestions for our trip. My wife and I are planning our delayed honeymoon for July. We will be flying into London for 10 nights(12 days if you include flight) and we were trying to decide if we should spend our time in London or stay somewhere else for a few nights. I am sure there is no correct answer, we both love the coast here in the states and thought about a seaside town for a few days, but without a car that did worry us.

This is my first time in London, my wife has been a few times in college. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jon

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,391 Reviews
from USD 125.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from USD 127.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
541 Reviews
from USD 112.90*
9 replies to this topic
Greater London...
Level Contributor
625 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Entire trip in London?

<<< but without a car that did worry us. >>>

No reason to - this is a country with very good public transport, so it is easy to get to a seaside destination. In fact a car is very much a hindrance in many towns and cities.

As to which seaside town - what are you looking for - beach (say Bournemouth) , scenery (several choices) , quiet (say the Norfolk coast), history (perhaps Brighton) and so on.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Entire trip in London?

You will easily find enough to do in London for 12 days. Honestly, you could go for a month and not get bored. But as it's at the centre of the rail network, it's easy to take day trips out for a bit of a contrast.

"thought about a seaside town for a few days,"

Good idea, either for a day or a few days. Have a look at Brighton, Rye (a couple of miles from the sea but easy to get to Camber Sands), Herne Bay, Whitstable, Broadstairs etc. just for starters.

"but without a car that did worry us."

No problem. All the above have stations, and only Rye requires a change of trains from London - the rest are direct, and train would be quicker than car anyway. See all times and prices at www.nationalrail.co.uk.

Have fun!

Edited: 12 May 2018, 02:13
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,040 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entire trip in London?

Good advice above. 12 consecutive days in London would drive me crackers.

Rye and Brighton are both great, but very different animals so do some googling to see what suits you best, shoould you decide on East Sussex.

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
1,662 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entire trip in London?

You can send all your time in London - lots to see and do, but you should venture out and from London you can do day trips by train. The list is endless but just some ideas, if any interest you then ask more questions.

Winchester - Lovely compact historical City

Brighton - Vibrant Seaside Town

Windsor - Castle

New Forest - lovely open Heath Land

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entire trip in London?

There are also plenty of places within the london boundary but outside central london eg hampton court, kew gardens, Richmond, greenwich, hampstead etc. All with plenty to do but on the london piblic transport network

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entire trip in London?

As someone partly brought up by the British seaside my advice is to avoid it. In my experience so mant seaside places are tacky or tired or run-down or all three.

12 /10 days in London is too many. Perhaps add on places like Oxford, Cambridge, York, Bath or Canterburyfor example.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,777 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entire trip in London?

Please put a location in your profile. You briefly mentioned the States and that you 'love the coast' but that means very little in determining what you may or may not like as something different from your everyday lives.

You may want to visit the seaside, but equally if you're from the central part of the country you may decide you'd like rolling hills or mountains and as such two or three days in the Peak District, some of Yorkshire or even Wales may be the business. You might like the Jurassic Coast but then again perhaps not.

Please give us some hints as to what you like and what's of less interest.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
601 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entire trip in London?

At 12 days, I would break it up by including a couple of daytrips and a castle hotel stay near the seaside for two nights (it’s your honeymoon).

Hopefully if you like the castle hotel idea, other can come up with good suggestions.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Entire trip in London?

You could certainly spend the entire time within London itself. You won't come close to running out of things to see and do. But London is a giant city, and a lot of people just need a bit of a break from a really big bustling city. Many great options, like various seaside towns. You certainly have enough time to spend a few nights out of London while still having lots of time to really explore London.

Reply to: Entire trip in London?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted