We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Canterbury to London

Burke, Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Canterbury to London

I need to take a train from Canterbury to London on a Saturday. Are there trains to different stations in London? Where can I find a schedule? Should I buy tickets in advance?

Mentioned in this post
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
London
London
England, UK
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,581 Reviews
from USD 118.90*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from USD 107.30*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,222 Reviews
from USD 121.50*
4 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Canterbury to London

Go to nationalrail.co.uk

But in the start point. For London just select London all stations. You'll see the options

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Canterbury to London

Trains head to various stations in central London. Your ticket is usually issued to "London Terminals", which allows you to use any central London terminus (without specifying in advance).

The one complication is that if you want to use the faster trains (into St Pancras) you must have the "including HS1" endorsement on your ticket, which costs a bit more.

Where are you aiming for within London? There is no point paying the higher price for a HS1 service if your actual destination is at or near one of the other options (such as Victoria).

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Canterbury to London

In addition to the National Rail website, I also like to use the Virgin Trains website -- https://www.virgintrains.co.uk

Canterbury West (CBW) and Canterbury East (CBE) are the two stations. CBW offers service to St Pancras (STP) and Charing Cross (CHX), while CBE offers service to London Victoria (VIC). Advance fares are as low as £10.10 for CBE to VIC and £12.50 for CBW to STP on the high-speed service.

Mentioned in this post
The National
The National
465 Reviews
Belfast, UK
Virgin Trains
Virgin Trains
1,094 Reviews
London, UK
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Charing Cross Guest House
Charing Cross Guest House
425 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Canterbury to London

Also to add, incase you have not yet happened across The Man in Seat 61 -- https://www.seat61.com/ -- you might find the website extremely useful. I do not know how much you intend to use trains to get around, but this is probably the single best website covering trains in the UK.

Reply to: Train from Canterbury to London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted