We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealander trying to get working visa for England

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
New Zealander trying to get working visa for England

I am currently in South America on an OE and am due to be in England in about 3.5/4 months time. I am a New Zealand National, but my father was born in England in 1966 and moved over when he was a teenager. All of my paternal family is English.

I am wanting to live and work in England, I am a young professional in the IT industry. My question is this: can I apply for a working visa once I am in England? Can I just do it while I’m over there? And should I apply for a tier 5 two year youth visa, or the 5 year visa? Or maybe try for citizenship? It’s hard to decipher if I can do all of this while already in the UK, it would be great to not have to go home!

Hope someone has some insight into if this is possible :) thank you so much

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,733 Reviews
from USD 122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from USD 125.00*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
770 Reviews
from USD 102.40*
4 replies to this topic
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,562 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: New Zealander trying to get working visa for England

Start here

https:/…work-visas

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: New Zealander trying to get working visa for England

I am no expert but some of my friends who had an English parent were able to gain English citizenship and live and work in the UK for many many years. This would be much easier than applying for work visas as a NZ citizen. These have apparently become harder to get recently.

There are a number of Australian politicians who are wishing they did not have an English parent, as apparently that gave them automatic right to English citizenship and because they did not renounce it in time have had to resign from Parliament.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,152 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: New Zealander trying to get working visa for England

'My question is this: can I apply for a working visa once I am in England? Can I just do it while I’m over there?' No. If you travel to the UK as a visitor then you'll not be allowed to change status after you've arrived in the country.

As it seems you have plans to visit the UK then do so and while there give serious consideration to whether you'd like to stay there and work. Day to day life is (obviously) not the same as being on holiday so give the matter some thought before you start the visa application process.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: New Zealander trying to get working visa for England

Since you have a UK born grandfather, your most flexible option would be an Ancestry visa, as long as you are at least 17 years old. You should be eligible since you have a UK grandparent. Also, you have an intent to work and, helpfully, you have a skill. You can’t apply more than three months in advance of your intended arrival. If granted, you could stay for up to five years. You could then apply for a further five year extension, or apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain as long as you hadn’t left the UK for more than 180 consecutive days during that time. After one year on ILR you could then apply for naturalised citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa

There are some circumstances where certain types of longer-term visa can be applied for from a country which is not your home country, but generally it needs to be from somewhere you have been granted residence/leave to remain under their immigration rules (and that country also has an approved centre for processing)… but not because it’s where you happen to be at the time. I don’t think there is any work visa you could apply for from within the UK and I’m pretty sure that an Ancestry Visa application can only be made from your home country.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 06:09
Reply to: New Zealander trying to get working visa for England
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted