We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm Fees

Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Atm Fees

Hi, wondering if anyone knows what the fee is for withdrawing cash from an ATM machine in the UK is. Thank you in advance

15 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,252 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Atm Fees

Most ATMs don't charge but if you're using an overseas account that might charge you, you'd need to check with your bank.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,435 posts
217 reviews
2. Re: Atm Fees

Most are free eg those outside/in/belonging to High St banks. The ones in/outside convenience stores are most likely to charge a fee (generally £2-3 per transaction) but by law they must indicate that before you complete your request.

You should check with your own bank what charges they make.

Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
3. Re: Atm Fees

Thank you. Unfortunately they don't know, have googled it but can't find anything. Sorry yes I should have said it would be an overseas card. Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
4. Re: Atm Fees

Your bank doesn’t know what charges it imposes?

Seriously?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,334 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Atm Fees

They don't know.

That's just not acceptable. Go back and insist they find outl

Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
6. Re: Atm Fees

Sorry, they don't know the UK charges.

7. Re: Atm Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 May 2018, 20:25

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Atm Fees

there are no UK bank fees - only those imposed by your bank

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Atm Fees

<< if anyone knows what the fee is for withdrawing cash from an ATM machine in the UK is>>

Impossible to answer directly as there is no fixed fee for such activity. As noted, the majority of ATMs in the UK are bank owned and do not charge for use of the ATM.

Private businesses operate some ATMs and they are far more likely to charge the customer - especially those in pubs and shops in my experience. Law requires that they charge be made plain onscreen before you commit to using the cash withdrawal facility. Also note some machines offer to charge you in your home currency - this is dynamic currency conversion and the machine owner sets the rate. I have not yet seen one where that rate is anything less than disadvantageous compared to the bank rate.

Your bank will have a set of costs - there will be a spread from the interbank rate of some kind and then there may be percentage and/or fixed fees on top of that.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
20,035 posts
76 reviews
10. Re: Atm Fees

"The ones in/outside convenience stores are most likely to charge a fee (generally £2-3 per transaction)"

Only £1.85 oop north, but I still avoid them!

There's a Londis mini market and two newsagents around the corner from my house. All three of them have those private, non-bank ATM's and non of them charge. They must feel sorry for us seeing as all of the banks around here that had free ATM's have closed down.

Reply to: Atm Fees
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted