We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights

Oakville, Ontario
2 posts
Save Topic
Northern Lights

Hi, we are currently living in Canada and my husband and I have always been interested in seeing the Northern Lights. Can you tell me when is the best time to travel to see this and is this the best destination to see this phenomenon?

Thanks for your help.

Helen

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,661 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights

Hi Helen;

The Northern Lights (aurora borealis) are an atmospheric phenomenon, and very hard to predict. Research has shown that the auroral activity is cyclic, and peaks about every 11 years. The next peak period is 2013.

While a more northern location will be of some help in seeing them, there is never any guarantee. Areas that are not subject to “light pollution” are the best.

The most often times to see the Aurora is from September to October and from March to April. Usually the best time of night (on clear nights) is midnight local time.

For more information;

http://www.northernlightscentre.ca/

spectacularnwt.com/whattodo/…aurorawatch

Best Regards

Oakville, Ontario
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights

Thanks so much. That really helps - we were planning and going much further north to experience this. I appreciate the detail and also that it appears to be a little unpredictable. I would love to do this for my husband. Thanks again.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,661 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights

You're Welcome !

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights

Now for some accurate information from a Northern resident and aurora-watcher. The Northern Lights have been pretty much a no-show in Whitehorse for the past several years. It's a low ebb in the auroral cycle, but I only know one person who has seen them this year. The next peak is said to be the winter of 2011-2012. The aurora doesn't know or care what time of day it is on earth or even what the season is - in a good year they can be seen any time it's dark, from about mid-August until the middle of April in the southern Yukon. The longer the night, the better the chance of seeing them - that means December though February, when it's unfortunately also the coldest!

Edited: 28 March 2010, 04:19
5. Re: Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Watson Lake