We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last day in Canada : Gibsons

Which Gibsons hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Last day in Canada : Gibsons

Before returning to Europe after a visit from Vancouver-Seattle and Vancouver island, we have a few day's to relax in Gibsons. We have to take an int. flight to Europe at 13.20u from Vancouver Int.

airport.

Should we take a hotel/motel close by the airport for de last evening, or can we travel from Gibsons ?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,064 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last day in Canada : Gibsons

When? A Friday or Sunday would be busier for the ferry. The long weekend of Aug 1st would be very busy. Weekday mornings would involved heavy traffic for workers over the Lions Gate Bridge into the city. Will you have a car?

If you caught the 8h30 or 6h20 ferry out of Langdale, you would probably be okay. Sailing time is 40 minutes. Count on a good hour from Horseshoe Bay to YVR. You would want to be at the airport by 11h30. Reservations are free on these two sailings by telephone only. 1-888-223-3779 (toll free)

Gibsons, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last day in Canada : Gibsons

Yes, you can easily make a 13.20 flight at YVR from Gibsons. You can even take transit the entire way.

8:30am sailing from Langdale puts you in Horseshoe Bay at 9:10 which means you're past the worst of rush hour traffic. Expect 1 hour drive to the airport. So even if you're returning a rental car...plenty of buffer time.

If you don't have a car, from Horseshoe Bay you can also take the #257 express bus to downtown and then the Canada Line to the airport. 1 hour 10 min $3.75/person on weekday $2.50 weekend http://www.translink.ca/

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last day in Canada : Gibsons

Yes, as previous posters have indicated you would have no problem catching 1:20pm flight if you travel on the 8:30am ferry. And as a previous poster said reservations are free (by phone) on the 8:30 ferry. However, I would strongly suggest you make a reservation. The morning ferries will be busy and especially busy on Sunday and Monday mornings.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last day in Canada : Gibsons

And as a follow-up I would suggest you make a reservation if you are travelling to the Sunshine Coast via car on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Last day in Canada : Gibsons

You say you have a few days to relax in Gibsons. How many?

Ok devil’s advocate here: When I am travelling out of YVR on an afternoon flight I always spend the night before by the airport. When I factor in a ferry schedule and travelling through Vancouver to get to the airport I don’t want to risk many of the things that could go wrong enroute that may make me miss my flight.

If you have a few days to spend in Gibsons I would spend the last night by the airport.

Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last day in Canada : Gibsons

Thank you all for the reply's.

W're planning a short 2 days in gibsons, coming from Seattle by car . Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria with The Black Ball Ferries. Overnight in Victoria and to Comox, the day after Comox-Powel River and Saltery Bay-Earls Cove.

Sadly we can not benefit from the offer from BC ferries on the sunshine coast, missing 1 ferry.

We are leaving on wednesday august 25 and as bo4me replied, missing our flight is no option. So we reserve and take the first ferry and go with the morning traffic or spend the night before around YVR.

On an international flight you have to be 2 à 3 hrs before the flight to Europe.

It's the second time we visit Vancouver(8 jrs ago) and we know that the traffic can be a pain in the ....

So, thank you for your posts and due to your replies we know that it's possible with the ferry

Hollidaydriver

7. Re: Last day in Canada : Gibsons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 19:42
Get answers to your questions about Gibsons