We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers

Doha, Qatar
5 posts
first timers

Hello everyone,

It's our first time to canada and to tremblant, Me and wife and 3 kids (13 ,10, 9) years old.

our plane was to saty there fro 2-3 nights from 14- april

but it seems that april is a dead month in general, most activities are closed or depends on snow fall.

Now i am thinking to make it only one night only, I don't want the kids to get board, would you help me in this regards, is there any anow tubing around at this time ? Karting ? any resonable activity ?

I have looked into most websites but couldn't get what am looing for , it's better to talk to experts :) "you "

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: first timers

April is a dead month generally once ski season winds down and 2016 follows that same pattern. Winter activities depend mostly on snow and cold weather. In the past few weeks, the daytime high temperature have often been warmer than 0 degrees Celsius (10 degrees is forecast for today) and there also have been periods of rain. Between now and April 15, the forecast calls for daily high temperatures to be above freezing every day except for 3. If that forecast holds up, snow probably will be limited to patches of snow in wooded or otherwise shaded areas. You kids likely (no guarantee with Mother Nature) will be able to play in snow, make snowballs, etc., but winter activities like skiing and tubing will be finished for the season.

There are two nearby venues for karting. One, in Mont Tremblant, is closed until May. The other, about 15-20 minutes from the Tremblant resort, does not have information seasonal opening information on its website, but here is a link, if you want to email them: http://emondgokart.com/contact.html.

About 50-60 minutes from the Tremblant resort (roughly half-way to Ottawa), is a place that is open and definitely a cure for boredom. It is called Parc Omega. I drove right by it for years, but never took the time to stop, as I was either enroute to Tremblant or going home. When I finally did visit (thanks to constant recommendation from rick b, one of the other destination experts on this board), I was delighted that I did. It is not exactly a true wilderness park and not exactly a zoo, but a blend of the two. Your kids should love it and so should you. http://www.parcomega.ca/en. From Parc Omega, Canada's national capital of Ottawa is roughly an hour's drive. If boredom is an issue, there is a lot to see and do in Ottawa (and Montreal).

Another possibility is hiking and nature walks in the nearby--and very large--Mont Tremblant Park: www.sepaq.com/pq/mot/index.dot?language_id=1. The Park is open year-round. The La Diable Sector is the closest entrance to the Tremblant resort, about a 15 minute drive. The small visitors; center at that entrance is closed until May 13, but the entrance is open. About 10 km from the entrance is the Discovery Centre, which is worth a stop. The Park has mountains, claims about 400 lakes, has lots of wildlife, fish, and 6 rivers.

Finally, depending upon weather, one or more of the bicycle rental shops in the area might be open during the winter that you are in Mont Tremblant. There is an excellent, scenic and paved bike path that you pick up in Vieux Mont Tremblant village. It is a converted rail line, so none of the grades are difficult.

When my kids were the ages of yours, they often found hiking, mountain streams and unexpected waterfalls to be interesting, not boring. Finding a shaded patch of snow in the woods sometimes led to snowball fights, building of a snowman, etc.

Doha, Qatar
5 posts
2. Re: first timers

thank you so much dear tylerarb

That was extremely useful,

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
83 reviews
3. Re: first timers

I hope that you and your family have a wonderful week-end in the area. Please post back and let us know what you did, what you liked and what you did not like. It will be of great help to other visitors and also to those of us who are frequent posters on the Mont Tremblant forum.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: first timers

So I don't have to recommend Parc Omega! ;-)

If you go in the same area you can also visit the Fairmont Château Montebello that is worth a look as the largest log structure in the world. Nice to have a drink inside near the gigantic fireplace and the week-end buffet brunch is very good (better than the Fairmont Tremblant) but expensive.

There is a cinema at the resort but it might be closed at the time of your visit; re dead season. You can go to the Saint-Jovite aka Centre-Ville sector of the aglomerated city of Mont-Tremblant. Good shopping there at less cost and more choice than at the resort. The weird Bourassa food store is also worth a look for the quality, exoctiqueness or very local products at unbeatable prices. Also a good place to buy a big bunch of carrots to feed to the hungry wapitis at Parc Omega. There is also a bowling at Saint-Jovite, open only sporadiclay so give them a call even if they don't speak very much English:(819) 425-8663.

Beside that there are two restaurants that are really good with kids in Saint-Jovite: first is a local chain, called Saint-Hubert that specialize in rotisserie chicken but has everything but the kitchen sink on the menu. Good for lunch or diner or even for mid afternoon if you want. The other is opened only at night, it is called L'Escalope, is a BYB and has a very large and varied salad bar that will get the kids interested.

Finally some mountain activities that don't need snow but might not be open: the luge at the Tremblant resort and the alpine coasters at the Mont-Saint Sauver, a 30 minutes drive away.

Hope this help but I think that you should limit your stay at two nights at this time of the year. Also the road to Ottawa passes through Montebello so you can stop for Parc Omega and Château Montebello on your way to Ottawa to spend a night or two there. In Ottawa the Museum of Nature is a kid favorite with the dinausor collection. They also like the Museum of Science and, if you mostly have boys, the Museum of War that is superbly done with lots of memorabilia and a big collection of army vehicles.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
13,029 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: first timers

The movie theatre closed about a month ago sadly.

Doha, Qatar
5 posts
6. Re: first timers

Thank you indeed

such great information

We will be visiting Montreal first then Mont tremblant on our way to Ottawa and finally Toronto

hope it will be good tour

1 post
1 review
7. Re: first timers

Movie theatre is closed and luge won't be open yet, but ski hill just announced they will stay open until April 17th. And Mission Liberte, an escape game, is open year round. It is located in the pedestrian village. I think it has its own tripadvisor page. Your kids are old enough to contribute. Challenge level is real, so parents should be prepared to actively play and participate.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: first timers

Good info for Mission Liberté thanks!

Also I forgot to mention that you will be here during the maple syrup making season and, it is traditional for locals to head to a cabane à sucre (sugar shack) to have a traditional dinner of the season.

There is an updated version, La Tablée des Pionniers in the nearby village of Saint-Faustin: latableedespionniers.com/en/menus-en/sugar-s…

A bit farther away and very traditional would be Cabane à Sucre Raymond,444 Chemin Avila, Piedmont, QC J0R 1K0 Téléphone :(450) 224-2569

BUT I notice that you are coming from Qatar so if you are practicing muslims that won't fit with you as almost every savory part is pork based.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
83 reviews
9. Re: first timers

bogwoppit, closed permanently or just until the resort gets busier in June? I hope that it is the latter.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
13,029 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: first timers

They said closed for good. It has changed hands a few times since it opened. Maybe it will be bought again and reopened?

Get answers to your questions about Mont Tremblant