We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conditions in late March/early April

NC
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Conditions in late March/early April

Hi there gang. I posted in this forum earlier with some questions about the Mt Tremblant resort versus the town. And I mentioned briefly in the ensuing thread my concern around conditions at the time at which our family is thinking of visiting. But I thought I would re-post specifically about that question. I am trying to ascertain what logic the resort uses and terms of how they determine their closure date so I know whether there’s a real possibility that we could show up there and there would be no skiing. So I apologize in advance to any of those who have already Seen a similar question

I am planning to take my family for my kids spring break to do some skiing. They have long wanted to visit Canada so I thought I could check both boxes. It would be last week in March or the very beginning of April. I see the resort has a projected closing date of April 15.

So just like here in the states I know it all depends on the weather conditions. All that said, in peoples’ experience based on prior years, the last week of March and first week of April, what are the daytime high temperatures like? will there be Any slopes open?

I should mention that being from the southern United States we have skied primarily in North Carolina and Virginia. Therefore the conditions are not very good most years. You may get two weekends a year. We are novice skiers And would not be looking to do expert slopes. I mention all that to mean that we are not very picky about the conditions. We are used to slush. Or ice.

But I am concerned about buying airline tickets and booking lodging if it’s possible that they might just close up the resorts early. As long as there are a handful of intermediate slopes open, that’s fine for us. Does the resort to continue to operate as long as there any skiable slopes? Or is there some logic like a certain percentage of the slopes have to be skiable or they just decide to close the resort? I hope that makes sense. We are kind of boxed in on the dates based on the kids school vacation. Thanks for listening!

10 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,569 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conditions in late March/early April

If you want guaranteed snow, come to the mountains out west, where the ski season reliably goes into May at some resorts. March is the snowiest month, and usually the time of maximum snowpack, in the Canadian Rockies. Fly in to Calgary; ski at Sunshine Village and Lake Louise in Banff National Park.

Wherever it is you decide to go, late March and early April is also spring break for a lot of Canadian schoolkids too, and a busy time in ski resorts.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conditions in late March/early April

I agree with krp329. While there is very little chance that Tremblant will close by the end of the first week in April, the probability of decent snow and a later season is much better in the Canadian Rockies. On the other hand, it would be a somewhat more expensive a vacation for you.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conditions in late March/early April

Tremblant is always open through March and early April. It would take an exceptionally warm winter/spring for them to close that early. You should be fine. If you are flying Air Canada, you should know that they now fly to Mont Tremblant via Toronto which could be an option for you.

NC
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conditions in late March/early April

Ok. Great. Again, We wouldn’t even know what to do with good powder! Jokes aside, I just want to avoid a scenario where I spend a fortune on airline tickets and book some lodgings at the resort only to find out a week or 10 days before the trip that they are down to only 10 or 12 runs left skiable and Therefore decide just to close up for the year.

Again my family are all pretty new to skiing and I’ve only been five or six times. So we don’t need any advanced slopes just need a handful of options in the beginner to intermediate range. Honestly the resorts we go to here near our house generally only Have five or six runs that are even appropriate for our family even if they are all operational. Which based on the last few winters they haven’t been. So most times we go skiing we’re skiing the same two or three slopes all day cause that’s all that is available. So I don’t need a wide variety just want to make sure there’s going to be something for the kids

Sounds like barring a very warm late winter early spring we should be ok

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conditions in late March/early April

This year the grounds frozed hard early so we had much more stick and stay snow than in the previous few years and recentrly had a lot of snowfalls so the ground cover is exceptionally good. Unless we experiment a complete reverse in temperatures everything will be more than ok until mid-April.

NC
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conditions in late March/early April

Thanks Rick. Fingers crossed

Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Conditions in late March/early April

Reopening this thread since we are coming the last week of March 2018 (during a U.S. Spring Break). Can someone post current conditions? We know we will be able to ski but I'm wondering about other activities like ice skating and snowshoeing. From watching the weather ti seems like its been consistently cold there, but the resort web page says the ice skating rink will be closed after March 18, which surprised me. Unsure if this is weather determinant or they just don't expect crowds after that date? I tried to call but couldn't get any info from the person on the phone.

Thank you!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,860 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conditions in late March/early April

Day times have been consistently above freezing for over two weeks. Rinks are pretty much finished at this point.

Snowshoeing will be there as long as there is snow on the ground, currently there is snow on the ground.

Cannot tell you more about the mountain itself, not been downhill this year. Their webcams are usually revealing.

It is still 15 days until your trip, hard to know what it will be like by then.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Conditions in late March/early April

Here, have a look for yourself!

https://www.google.ca/url…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply