We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diafel

Charlottesville...
3 posts
Save Topic
Diafel

Michelle Nex,

What is Kimberly Canada really like? Are the people there really friendly?

6 replies to this topic
Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diafel

But, of course!

http://www.kimberley.ca/

hellobc.com/en-CA/RegionsCities/Kimberley.htm

http://www.skikimberley.com/

- have you looked here? What are you "looking for" - visit - or?? Bring your business here - by all means call the Mayor. The longest serving in Western Canada; kootenaybiz.com/10people/article/jim-ogilvie/

Small town "flavour" - very acceptable to "new people" - golf club and curling club notably so and proud to be. 22 18 hole championship Golf Courses within 90 minutes. Ski HIll "best backyard hill" - seldom a line-up - in North America(?)

Undiscovered "Jewel" in terms of so much to offer to so many. . .

Four equal seasons; typically in top five in Canada for "most hours of sunshine/year". In the "Heart of the Canadian Rockies" - valley sandwiched nicely between the Rockies - 20 miles +/- to east and "right on" the Purcell Range (much smaller). Kimberley was the "highest elevation" City in Canada until Banff became a Municipality.

Biggest complaint for most is how "laid back" it is. Now lost in transition between mining town - Sullivan mine was the largest producing Lead'Zinc mine in the World for 100 + years. Now, like many in North America, moving from Mining to Tourism. Gov't jobs are "best in town" - Health/Teachers/Post Office/Liquor Strore, etc. Tough town to be "in retail" as most drive 20 + minutes to Cranbrook (POP 20,000+) for major shoppng.

Al in all, Kimberley is making for and incredible retirement community. It affords an incredible life style to anyone looking for "quality of life" over accepting short term view of rat race life style of focusing on income over comfort. And, did I say the crime rate is in the bottom 5% in Canada. . .!

Charlottesville...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diafel

Thank you very much

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diafel

I live in the 'other' (West) Kootenay. I second the views expressed by eastpouce. I've spent a little time in Kimberly over the years and I find it to be a pleasant, welcoming community. Anywhere in this region is better suited to people who like small towns and outdoor recreation. We are not much for shopping malls or lots of nightlife (unless you count watching the stars).

Charlottesville...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diafel

Well I do like a little Karaoke and I understand that Michelle does a show there somewhere.

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diafel

www.kootenayrockies.com - another "pretty picture sight" - seeing is believing. . .

I am in constant contact - on the chairlift - golf course - pool at the "Resort Village" I live in - etc. etc. with visitors from all over the World; and mean "all over". Very few with a broad view of the World are NOT totally blown away - have had people staying in my house from Northern France very near the Alps" area tell me this - by the natural beauty of the Kootenay area. Night life - admit it is pretty quiet. Overall a definite lack of "Tourist Traps"....

And - we are definitely on the "WARM SIDE" of the Rockies. -25C in Banff at same time it is +2C in Kimberley + our winter is definitely shorter than the al-BURR-ta side . . .

Edited: 28 May 2011, 03:12
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,292 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diafel

Okay curiousity got me. What does Diafel mean?

Reply to: Diafel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted