We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound to Golden... _____ to Kicking Horse?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Greyhound to Golden... _____ to Kicking Horse?

Hey There,

I'm looking at planning a trip to Kicking Horse in 2019 with my wife and two kids. We'll probably take the Greyhound bus into Golden and stay at the Holiday Inn Express. Once there, though, how do we get to Kicking Horse? Is there a shuttle in town or should I look at renting a car?

4 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,921 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greyhound to Golden... _____ to Kicking Horse?

https:/…eluid08e6fb30

Interesting that they have a shuttle from Banff, Lake Louise and Field but it doesn't say anything about Golden. Have you contacted the resort? My guess. There not enough demand from Golden as it would be mostly locals. Looks like a rental car would be a good idea. You may want one in town anyway. You don't want to be walking to and from dinner in those temps.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greyhound to Golden... _____ to Kicking Horse?

Where are you taking the Greyhound from? why the Greyhound at all? It's the least desirable way to travel in BC. Do check with the Chamber of Commerce in Golden - interesting that Golden might not have a shuttle from town to the hill - even Kimberley has a free shuttle between the base of the ski hill and "downtown" and the distance between the two is much shorter than between KH and the town of Golden itself......

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,921 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greyhound to Golden... _____ to Kicking Horse?

That page I linked to on the Kicking Horse resort website details all your options for getting there and it looks like they are running a shuttle from Calgary airport. I agree that its not necessary to take Greyhound at all. All the info for transport is on the resort website and I'm sure if you email them they will be able to provide specifics and options.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,686 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greyhound to Golden... _____ to Kicking Horse?

The shuttle from YYC may not work for the OP for a few reasons ... it's only operated two days per week, and it doesn't appear that it stops in town. Actually, the Holiday Inn Express isn't really in town - it's up on the highway service road, and would be a detour for a shuttle heading up to the ski resort (which is about 15 km from town).

Hungarianhc, I'm not sure why you've chosen that hotel over staying up at the ski area itself, but the area it's in doesn't really give you the "staying in town" advantage over staying up at the resort itself. Walking to downtown Golden is over 2 km (or you could take a taxi). The area where the HI Express is located is a cluster of chain hotels, fast food restaurants, and gas stations along a frontage road adjacent to the highway ... with about the same amount of "charm" as these types of areas have where they are found in other towns or cities (in other words ... none). I'm sure it's very convenient for the sledders (snowmobilers) that are a huge part of winter tourism in Golden because the hotels there are right off the highway, with big parking lots for their trucks and trailers, but for skiers, perhaps not so much. If you were planning to ski long and hard all day, then grab a fast food meal for supper and maybe buy a six pack to drink in your hotel room before an early bedtime to repeat it all again the next day ... then it may be just right for you. As a spot for a family vacation, there won't be anywhere to go in the evening, or much entertainment for your kids other than the hotel pool or TV.

Having a car would be the best option, however, if you have little or no winter driving experience, driving to Golden from Calgary is definitely not the place to learn ... if there has been recent snowfall and road conditions are not good, the section from Lake Louise to Golden, through Kicking Horse Pass and then the long, winding descent through Kicking Horse Canyon, can be one of the scariest winter highway drives around (right up there with the section of highway immediately west of Golden over Rogers Pass, or the Coquihalla highway or the mountain passes on the Crowsnest highway).

Taking the Greyhound, you'll have a 850m walk (a half mile) from the Husky Truck Stop where the depot is to the Holiday Inn Express. The Ramada hotel is located closer to the Greyhound depot, and staying there would put you in the centre of the "strip" rather than almost at the far end (but it's not as new as the HI Express.) Here is a map; you can zoom in or switch to satellite or street view to learn more about the area: https://goo.gl/maps/eZjZ9oBfbZk

Here's one more map, showing where the ski resort is located, compared to the HI Express and the town: https://goo.gl/maps/7mbkAa1ZkyR2

Edited: 08 March 2018, 07:39
Reply to: Greyhound to Golden... _____ to Kicking Horse?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted