We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Golden to Kicking Horse

Northern Territory...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport Golden to Kicking Horse

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are experienced BC people out there who can advise on the transport options for getting between Golden and Kicking Horse. My boyfriend and I are looking to spend some time in Winter in Golden, but will not have a car (or do not plan to at this stage).

Is there transport that allows you to head up the mountain for the day? If so, is it regular?

Or is it a case of relying on carsharing if you don't have a car yourself?

Thanks for your help!!

6 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Golden to Kicking Horse

https:/…

They mention a specific ride share program

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Golden to Kicking Horse

ksneds, just wondering if that ride-share program is what OP had in mind. I took OP to mean a shuttle that goes from the town of Golden to the resort, and that ride-share program seems to be for getting rides between resorts.

I would suggest the fastest way to get an answer is to call Golden Tourism at 1.250.439.7290 or the Kicking Horse Chamber of Commerce at 250.344.7125 (I got those numbers off here: https://www.tourismgolden.com/contact )

Kimberley definitely has a shuttle from the base of the ski hill to the town centre - maybe give Kimberley a try!

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Golden to Kicking Horse

There is no shuttle to KHMR from Golden... people tend to hitchhike from in front of the Timberframe lodge at the edge of town.. usually takes a couple minutes and you have a ride. There used to be a shuttle and there wasn't enough business (apparently... before my time here).

Other than that there is Mount 7 taxi.

You could always buy a cheap vehicle, but insurance in BC is horridly expensive.

Alternatively, you could stay on the mountain and not need transport to it... though a pricier option.

BTW if you plan on trying to live here be aware rentals are very hard to get.

Edited: 02 December 2017, 13:55
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport Golden to Kicking Horse

Thanks for the info wanderer - good to know.

Northern Territory...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport Golden to Kicking Horse

Thanks for all the info everyone! That's exactly the local info I was hoping was out there.

Luckily we already have accommodation sorted but it was expensive and not easy to find - I agree!!

I have looked into a car but I think the insurance cost and hassle on an international driver's licence is not worth it for us.

Thanks again!!!

Golden, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport Golden to Kicking Horse

Lots of people hitchhike up the mountain. Most locals will pick you up if they have room. Same on the way down. You won't wait long to get a ride if you are on the road before the gondola opens.

Reply to: Transport Golden to Kicking Horse
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted