We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

We are renting an RV (about 28ft) from Calgary for 30 days from 1 June 2017. We want to head West for the first part of the trip to allow the weather to warm up and be in Jasper/Banff area for the last 10-14 days of the trip. We have 3200Km allowance. We are from Australia, we love scenery and hiking- don't like big towns, crowds or eating out- basically we do our own thing, that's why the RV.

I am designing the route to minimise overlap or backtracking. The return journey from Vancouver to Calgary is planned to be Squamish- Whistler- Kamloops- Mt Roberts- Jasper- IP- Lake Louise- Banff, so I want to avoid Kamloops on the way to Vancouver.

So far my route has us going- Canmore (stopping 1 night)- through Kootenay to Radium Hot Springs (stopping 1 night)- onto Revelstoke (stopping 1 night). Now I need advice..

Plans are presently - from Revelstoke via Hwy1 to Sicamous then take Hwy 97A to Kelowna and then 97 until Keremeus. Highway 3 to Princeton then onto Hope. From Hope Hwy 7 then 7a to the Capillano RV Park in Vancouver (only one I can see close to Vancouver)

My question- is that a scenic route that justifies the extra Kms?

Or is it just as good to go to Aspen Grove then Princeton from Kelowna.

Or do I skip Princeton and go Kelowna- Merritt- Hope- Vancouver

I was planning on making it a 2 day trip so stopping overnight, possibly Princeton?

Any suggestions on best route or what not to miss would be greatly appreciated.

brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

Sorry- need to amend a typo- Post should have read Mt Robson, not Mt Roberts.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,857 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

Hi ~

Revelstoke > Sicamous > Kelowna > Keremeos > Hope on Hwy 3 is a great route. Scenic, lots to see and do. I would look at overnighting in Manning Provincial Park, just 1-2 hours east of Hope. Coldspring or Mule Deer campsites, Lightning Lake has a lake and a very nice loop trail: Link: https:/…E.C.ManningProvincialPark . I am not sure when reservations open for next year, but it will be important to book.

Hwy 7 from Hope to Vancouver to Capilano RV Park in West Vancouver is a nice drive. It is a slower road. Generally is positioned quite close to the Fraser River. A great deal of population from Vancouver has spread out that road, so there are quite a few traffic lights from about Maple Ridge west. 7A is also an easy drive with not much to hold you up. Until you get to Hasting Street and Sperling. From there to the Iron Workers Bridge, you are into city speeds for many kms and traffic lights, and traffic and people pushing the pedestrian operated lights to make the traffic light change to red so that everyone stops to let them cross the street. Repeat at the next block. And the next block. And the .... Now I know you don't want to backtrack, but you need to be prepared for 30-45 minutes more time to do this route than coming in to Vancouver on the freeway (Hwy 1.)

So I would say take Hwy 7 to the Mary Hill Bypass (see following link) and cut down southwest on Hwy 7B to the Hwy 1 onramp. Then take Hwy 1 to the Ironworkers Bridge and on to Capilano RV Park. A lovely park on the Capilano River where you will probably find folks fishing from the banks and from boats at the moth of the river. And yes the only one close to Vancouver.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/DxzaZX4rBN82

I'm not a fan of your option to go Kelowna > Merritt > Hope. This is Hwy 97C and Hwy 5, Hwy 5 being a freeway, built to allow people to get to the interior or to the coast an hour faster than Hwy 1 or Hwy 3. Good views from the windshield, not much in the way of stops or lookouts or amenities.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,222 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

I'd want to change your trip from Vancouver just a bit. After Whistler, you will drive through Pemberton, and up the big hill, and enjoy the Duffey Lake Road. When you get out to highway 97, you will be just a bit north of Cache Creek. Rather turn right south and then to Kamloops, turn north, and head up 97 to 93 Mile House,. From there, turn right onto highway 24. Highway 24 will take you through Lone Butte, by Sheridan Lake, all the way to Little Fort. Then you will find highway 5. Turn north, and continue through Clearwater, and to Mount Robson. You can avoid Kamloops completely that way.

https://goo.gl/maps/7zVQWGGHrAQ2

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

I'd avoid Kamloops in both directions....

Ok, so from Banff to Vancouver, I recommend this:

https://goo.gl/maps/HResUMyQxxk

People try to avoid doing the Icefields Parkway in both directions and like to make a loop of going up to Jasper via Clearwater and then only doing the Icefields parkway once coming south from Jasper. We don't generally support this approach. The reasons why are listed at the bottom of this article:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c…

So, going with this suggestion, I would do Revelstoke on one of the trips, but I would probably stay to the south via Nelson and Osoyous in the other direction. But this is a big variation from what you have already put together, so if you are fixed on that, then don't mind me. :)

But I would look at the Kootenays and the Arrow Lakes area and those wonderful inland ferries.

…gov.bc.ca/gov/…inland-ferries

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

Some reading: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c…

brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

Thanks for all the detailed advice. Muftivancouver, Thanks for confirming the scenic route is worth it, and for the detail closer into Vancouvr. I will adjust that part of the route.

j0an123 thanks for the Kamloops avoidance tip. I will change that route too.

As for IP twice, I see the wisdom, but will have to think on how to achieve it in the 3200km allowance. Will also look into the ferries idea. I didn't know they were free. I am also conscious that Summer timetables won't have kicked in yet, so timetables will be limited and some roads might be closed.

Just back to the IP, is there anywhere you can stop overnight about half way, or do you have to do the whole road in a day?

My other challenge is having to book all the sites in advance. I am going to have to nail the itinerary to have certainty for booking sites, quite a daunting task. June weather also looks a bit of a risk, but hopefully allowing a whole month we will get some good days.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,903 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

hi

with only 3200 km you will have to be sitting in an RV park near a beach for a number of days or you will need to find other transportation methods to get to see sights. we just did a 19 day road trip where is chalked up 3500 km without even trying. Just getting to places to hike etc... eats up a lot of kms each day. So if you map out the route in Google maps it is a good idea to add 50 to 100 kms for the days you do not plan to travel to another destination.

and, if you do not like big cities why are you going to Vancouver? .......

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

Yes, of course, I blanked there. As you are in an RV, I strongly recommend taking two days to drive down the Parkway and camping along the way. The campgrounds on the Parkway are not reservable, so you need to plan to stop mid-afternoon, but Parks Canada does have a reasonably good inventory of overflow lots, which are very basic, but meet the need for a night. That is a reasonable alternative to driving the parkway in both directions.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,222 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

What kind of charges will you incur if you go over the 3200 km mark?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,857 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: most scenic route Revelstoke to Vancouver

This 3200 km limit is now getting my attention. Which company are you renting with? Have you looked at the UK company Canadian Affair at all? You are doing a round trip, so no one way drop fee. They include insurance and taxes in their rates, I believe. Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans in our forums have successfully used them along with Europeans with no mention of a km limit.

It might be worth a comparison. Their email is mailuk@transat.com.

https:/…motorhome-hire-holidays