We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lack of pricing transperancy

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,967 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Topic
Lack of pricing transperancy

I gather that some of this harks back to an Act of Parliament passed in 1867 where the pricing powers were largely devolved to the Canadian provinces not its Federal government, but one aspect of shopping that I found annoying on a recent visit to Canada was the lack of transparency.

In many cases what one sees as the price displayed on supermarket shelves is not the price one pays at the checkout.

The Federal GST plus various provincial sales taxes made it difficult to estimate what my final bill would be at the checkout. Alberta apparently lacks a sales tax - good on it - but that is not so in most (all?) other provinces.

Perhaps legislatively it is all too hard (requiring constitutional reform) but in Australia what one sees displayed is what one pays, and it is illegal to fail to display a GST-inclusive price.

Reform like this wouldn't just assist local residents, but travellers as well, since we do not all have unlimited budgets.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,942 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

Victorialad,

Part of the travel experience is being where things are different. Here in Oz (and on NZ) there is one federal GST and no other taxes levied by States, Territories or local municipalities, so that makes it very easy for "price you see is the price you pay". As you have identified Canada can often have different Provincial taxes on top of the Federal tax, and further some regional and municipal taxes can also be applied in some regions. That makes it impossible to just show one price.

I accept that it is a PITA to deal with, but so is driving on the other side of the road and we can't do anything to change that to suit ourselves either. Live with it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

If all countries operated exactly the same as one another, it would be a pretty boring world.

Sorry you have a problem with this.

You clearly like your taxes "hidden."

Doesn't make sense to me.

Our retail tax system works fine for me.....

If you don't like the way things are done here....that's fine.

You have options.

Edited: 15 October 2016, 14:28
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

I loved that the pricing in NZ and Australia was so easy for me to deal with. Not so much, driving on the "other" side of the road.

But really, We Canadians like to see how much taxes we are paying. And also, there are so many exceptions to PST in BC, it would be hard to deal with it all, from a retailer's perspective.

I can't imagine how you dealt with the tipping here! Another thing I enjoyed about NZ and Australia! My friends in both countries refused to go out to dinner with us, unless we promised not to tip!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

Same post (and the stamp one too) on the Canada page and same response result.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,967 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

AlegreVancouverBC, my apologies for posting in this Revelstoke forum.

That was my mistake: I reposted in the main 'Canada' forum.

No, I don't like my taxes 'hidden.' In the Canada forum, I made a polite suggestion as to how the taxes that locals and travellers alike pay could be shown, but in a way that avoided us all having to do 'maths' as we call it in Australia every time we go shopping.

Edited: 15 October 2016, 15:49
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,182 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

I don't have a problem with a traveller reporting on their observations and experiences in our country. I think it's interesting to see another point of view.

7. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 October 2016, 16:19
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

I think another point of view is interesting. I don't think a suggestion to reform our tax system to assist travellers is necessarily a constructive criticism. I

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

Can't get more transparent than listing all the add-ons. Between the misspelling, the wrong word interpretation and the thread's theme, no wonder the comments are not well received.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lack of pricing transperancy

Wow talk about not understanding the tax system. In Canada you know what you pay it's up front in your face on your bill. We did not allow our governments to hide it like elsewhere including in Australia, you home.

In Australia there is a VAT/HST of 10% at the production level so that means that by the time it reaches the retail level it probably 15 to 20%. When the producer manufactures he adds on 10% for the VAT/HST then the wholesaler mark up the price by a certain % for his profit, say 25% which means that the 10% is now really 12.5% and then the retailer usually marks up the product by 100% unless it on sale which now means doubling the hidden tax and you could be paying up to 25%. Now is that transparent???? are you kidding me or what???

And if you think it's bad in Canada how about these: Austria 20%, Denmark 25%, France 20%, Italy 22% and it goes on and on.

I love our system as it's totally TRANSPARANT