We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Revelstoke/Banff September 19-23

Brampton, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Hiking in Revelstoke/Banff September 19-23

Just wondering if there will be much snow/accumulation on the mountains mid to late September and if it is a good time to visit. Looking to check out Yoho National Park, Glacier National Park, Banff and some others in the area! Just curious about the conditions I would expect during our hikes in the different mountain ranges, especially if we plan on hiking to summit. Are there any trails you recommend as well?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,017 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Revelstoke/Banff September 19-23

It is certainly possible to get snow in September (and July and August LOL , although these are not as likely), especially at higher elevations. Last year, here in the Rockies, we had two snowfalls in September - Sept. 3 and 14. Two years ago, there was quite a big snowfall on Sept. 8th; that one was unusual because the storm system that brought it dumped it all the way from Calgary up to Jasper, and it stuck around for a number of days because it stayed quite chilly.

Typically, a September snowfall would only be at higher elevations (such as 6000 feet +) and would not stick around for long. However, often by late September (i.e. the last few days), the highest trails will start to get snowy or icy ... things will melt during the day, but then it's not warm enough to dry up, and it re-freezes overnight. However, some years, the hiking season extends into October. Last year, for example, even though we had those two snowfalls in September, after that the weather warmed up and hiking continued into mid-October, with no more snow. I think that's the latest I've ever known it to go though, in 35+ years living in the Rockies.

Not sure about the Selkirks (Glacier NP) but would expect the same is possible. I did hike there once in early October a few years back, and the trails were icy in spots.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Revelstoke/Banff September 19-23

I think krp is pretty accurate about the Selkirks - probably a bit snowier there earlier in the season, but easily some great end of the season hiking in mid September. You just have to watch the weather and plan accordingly.

But you can get those early dumps - my only hiking experience in Glacier NP was an aborted mountaineering trip during last year's first early snow dump in September. Went from rain to sleet to snow as we hiked upwards, and the next morning, up at higher elevations, we were struggling through drifts that were up to thigh deep!

Mississauga, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Revelstoke/Banff September 19-23

In terms of clothing, would you recommend winter jackets and snow pants or would the temperatures still be pretty mild? Also, do you recommend any mountain hikes that don't require going all the way to summit that still offer really nice views, in the event that there is too much snow?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,017 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Revelstoke/Banff September 19-23

>> winter jackets and snow pants

No! Even in winter, I don't hike or snowshoe in a winter jacket and snow pants. That's fine for downhill skiing or snowboarding, but for aerobic activity, especially if I am going uphill, I find them too warm (unless it is really cold out, as in -20 and I tend not to be out in that kind of weather anymore :-P ). Layers are the way to go - at any time of the year, and, as mentioned by ksneds, this is the reason why: "Went from rain to sleet to snow". This can happen anytime in the mountains on the higher trails ... I had two hikes like this last week (in July!) where we were up above 7500 feet, with strong winds pelting us with sideways ice pellets for a short while as a squall moved through. (I actually prefer that over rain, because you don't get wet. But you do have to have enough layers to keep warm.)

I have hiked in September at higher elevations when it was hot (high 20's C) and sunny and we were in shorts and tank tops, and I have hiked in September in winds and blowing snow where the wind chill factor was probably -10. You just never know and have to be prepared for it all. Have light gloves or mitts and either a hooded jacket or a hat in your pack, even for hiking in the summer.

>> do you recommend any mountain hikes that don't require going all the way to summit that still offer really nice views

Where, specifically (which park) are you asking for? What is the time and/or distance that you would like to hike?

Brampton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Revelstoke/Banff September 19-23

We were wondering which good day hikes you would recommend for mountains/lakes. Short ones as in 3-4 hours or long ones as in 6 hours or so. Around Banff, yoho, and Revelstoke.

6. Re: Hiking in Revelstoke/Banff September 19-23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2017, 15:19