We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day Itineary From Field to Revelstoke

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
One day Itineary From Field to Revelstoke

After completing my trip in Canadian Rockies , we will be staying in Golden from Jasper ...and then planning to spend a day in Revelstoke from Golden and back ki

My question is since it will be a long day driving ..what all points can w ecover on the route

1) Will meadows in sky parkaway ..I searched and its a road 26 km ...will be open on 14th july ..and if any gondola operates to see top view ...as we have no time for hiking ..

2) will kicking horse mountain gondola be open on 14th july ..I read its going some renovations ..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,692 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day Itineary From Field to Revelstoke

So your plan is to do a day trip to Revelstoke from Golden, returning to Golden at the end of the day?

Its only a couple of hours of drive time, but through the really beautiful Roger's Pass, so that's quite a reasonable plan. You could be in Revelstoke by mid-morning and stay right through to dinner time if you wanted before doing the return drive to Golden.

Glacier National Park and Mt Revelstoke National Parks both require entrance fees. You can drive through on the highway, but you will be required to show a pass to stop for sightseeing along the way. Given you are already going to Banff and Jasper, will you be getting a Discovery Pass? Or just doing pay as you go?

What I'm not sure about is whether an entrance fee to Glacier will also get you into Mt. Revelstoke. I know Banff and Jasper are reciprocal and you can use your entrance for either park, but I'm not certain if that's in place for other national parks.

Revelstoke is a great little town. There are two main features in the national park (so far as I'm aware): the Cedar Boardwalk and the Meadows in the Sky Parkway, both of which are worthwhile. The Meadows in the Sky parkway is one of the few places in BC where you can drive up to the alpine meadows. It was developed in the days before gondolas for sightseeing were viable operations. You drive up the parkway to a parking lot and then I believe they provide you with a shuttle from there. There's some short trails around at the top. The Cedar Boardwalk is really quite something. I like it much better than Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island. The trail is quite manageable and reasonably short, but the perspectives on these magnificent yellow cedars is very impressive.

Beyond the national park, you have the railway museum, which we didn't have time for, but its very good, and the Revesltoke Dam, which has a visitor centre, but we didn't go in there either. The downtown street in Revelstoke is very cute and you'll enjoy just wandering the shops and stopping for lunch somewhere.

The best views of Roger's Pass will be on the way back (provided the weather cooperates for you). If you have a Discovery Pass or are able to use your Mt. Revelstoke pass to stop into the Visitor Centre, then I might do that, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the Visitor Centre in Glacier and I wouldn't bother stopping if you have to pay again.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day Itineary From Field to Revelstoke

Neither Mt. Revelstoke National Park or Glacier National Park have entry gates, like Banff and Jasper National Parks do. If you are just driving through on the highway, you do not need a park pass, but if you stop to see any park facilities, then you do. I can't recall for sure but I think there are vending machines in the parking lots (but not sure). If you've bought the annual "Discovery" pass for your visit to Banff and Jasper National Parks, it will be valid in Mt. R and Glacier too. I believe the daily passes for all those parks are valid in all the other parks too - i.e. you don't have to buy a pass for Banff or Yoho NP, and then another one for Mt. R or Glacier.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day Itineary From Field to Revelstoke

The daily passes for Jasper/Banff/Yoho are good for Glacier and Revelstoke. The only place around where that's not true is if you buy the cheaper shoulder season day passes for Waterton NP. Otherwise the passes are good for all the area parks. Same fee, same pass.

I've never heard of vending machines - I assume you just buy the pass at one of the visitor's centres. Note that in Revelstoke or Glacier NPs you must have a pass even if you just stop by the side of the road. The only exception is if you are using the washroom - but if you do anything else, you need a pass. So you pretty much need a pass if you intend to pull over at all. The visitor's centre in Roger's Pass (Glacier NP) has a nice exhibit, but I'm not sure it's included in the day pass (it is for a yearly pass). Not worth paying extra for, but interesting if it's included in the pass.

Depending on how long your trip is, it may work out best to buy the year pass - 6 days or more and the yearly pass is more cost effective.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,692 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day Itineary From Field to Revelstoke

I do recall that both the Cedar Boardwalk and the Meadows in the Sky parkway had a staffed kiosk when I was there, checking for passes as you went into the parking lot or started up the road. As I recall, at Rogers Pass, you had to go into the Visitor Centre to pay for your pass and there didn't seem to be anyone around at the roadside pull out.

Good to know the passes are valid across parks. I wasn't sure.

True that for driving through on the highway, there are no gates or controls.

5. Re: One day Itineary From Field to Revelstoke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2017, 15:17