We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

california
Level Contributor
440 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

We have four days free starting and ending in Kelowna in October. we plan to drive. Our interests are scenic, local culture and heritage, unique foods and experiences. Both mid 70's.We like mountain walks but no long challenging hikes. No bikes. We need a concept for seeing and experiencing as much as possible of Banff, Lake Louise, and the areas unique attractions. Can you propose a concept please?

Thank you

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,215 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

I consider fancy hotels fine if they fit within my budget, my budget never includes $500 per night no matter what the experience would be like.

To get the Chateau experience another way is to have lunch there. at Chateau Lake Louise the Dining Room off the lobby has an amazing view of the Lake.

you will usually get much better deals when making reservations. Tried that a few times when make changes to our travel plans.

Edited: 19 June 2016, 08:24
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

Sometimes the "fancy" hotel does have benefits. If you choose to stay at the Chateau Lake Louise the advantage will be having the lake early morning and in the evening without the huge crush of tourist buses and without needing to get in your car and drive somewhere.

You've got the choice of a road trip as in post #6 or a drive and stay in one place as a base trip. Once you decide which it will be you can the check each forum for places to eat.

Each person's budget is different and their comfort level with a "splurge".

I use an overall budget number for accommodation and have stayed in places that ranged from 40 euro a night to 250 euro night on the same trip...they fit into my overall budget.

california
Level Contributor
440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

Thanks. will-there bea crush of tour buses on October?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

The season in the Rockies normally runs through our Thanksgiving, 2 nd Monday in October so Oct 10 this year. After that date various attractions, roads etc start to shut down, In a regular year things would start to slow by the 3 rd week of September but this does not appear to be a regular year. Impossible to say how busy things will be ...not as crowded as August but certainly there will be tours, tourists and buses....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,165 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

The average low temperature for the month of October in Banff is -1.5C (29F), in Lake Louise is -5C (23F). You will need to be prepared for snow, icy roads as the temps will rise to approx 7-10C (44-50F) and then cool to freezing in the evening, overnight and the morning. Rain and low cloud cover over the mountains will be a high possibility.

I have just done four 5 hour driving days around the Southern Interior. Those 5 hours turned into 8-9 hours because we stopped to see things (local culture and heritage, along with some activities). And that's pretty much what you do, stop to see things. to take walks. But in my case daylight was 5 am and 9 pm. In October daylight will be 7h15 am and 6h15 pm. This means you will be more limited and therefore see less if you want to drive in daylight.

High end hotels, if the room rates fall within your budget, would add a touch of luxury and elegance to your trip. They might even add really good value to this short trip.

I checked the schedules of 7 coach tours and all but one stop their tours at the end of September. You will have the place to yourself, IMO.

In October in Banff and LL, you will have limited opportunities to experience the area, compared to the summer, but you will have a limited amount of time. Pair that with a lovely hotel, with spa and the TLC offered at such a hotel, and you may have a winner 4 days. Take care driving and watch the sharp turns in the highways. When the signs say slow to 70 km/h, 60, 50, 40 and even the odd 30 km/h, it would be wise to do so in October.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

While October averages may be cooler I have been in both Jasper and Banff in early October and have found it to be quite pleasant. Last year's high for Banff on Oct 6 was 18C so while you'll quite likely encounter temperatures at night that are at freezing point the day time temperatures can be very good for short walks and easy touring. Layering will be key as it will start out cool, warm up considerably during the day and then cool off again in the evening. Hopefully by late evening you'll be sitting by a nice fire in your accommodation :)

Also in early October, your travel dates, sunrise will be just before 8 am and sunset will be just after 7 pm so you will still have a reasonable amount of daylight for your travels, unlike the throes of December/January when daylight is very limited.

There is a large range of hotels in Banff as opposed to Lake Louise which has much more limited accommodation and dining.

While snow is possible at any time in the Rockies (we have been there when it snowed in July LOL) again, your early October date shouldn't see snow that lasts, even if there is a small dusting. After Thanksgiving all bets would be off re: snow :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,165 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

Just to clarify daylight. You will have 11 hours of daylight around your dates in October, whether you are in Kelowna (my time quote of 7h15 am and 6h15 pm) or Banff (8 am and 7 pm.) There is one time zone difference between BC and Alberta. Same amount of daylight, different places on the globe.

california
Level Contributor
440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

Thank you all.

The posts above give great choices for how to do this trip. Are there web sites that have detailed each of these alternatives? Is there a book I can buy,or a site i can visit, that would enable me to look carefully at the roads and attractions to make these choices? Is there a book to have in the car that points our local attractions on the road ahead, and side routes? Website?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

Each forum on TA has web sites and information on each place. Do not use the T A App..it really won't show top questions or things to do ..rather useless actually.

HelloBC is a good website for the BC part of your trip...if you go to the various posts and click on the links highlighted in blue you'll get tons of information. canada parks website has all the parks info on what to see and do. KRP has linked these for you in post 3. There isn't really any one website as you are covering 2 provinces and many national and provincial parks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,035 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Kelowna to Banff -4 days in October

I find Google maps a great resource for travel planning: www.maps.google.com Besides the standard map view, you can use satellite view and streetview (which gives you an "on the ground" virtual drive through). Further, many business and attractions are marked on the map (zoom in for detail) and you can click on them for further info and web links.

Google or any other search engine can also find you an almost unlimited amount of weather websites. ;-)

I'm sure there are plenty of books you can buy - various companies publish travel guidebooks for Canada or western Canada - Lonely Planet, Frommers, Fodors etc. Maybe check at your local library? I find these good to get an overview of an area, but often with slightly out of date information. That's why online research is better, imo.

Aside from the various resources here on the TripAdvisor site (you need to be on the full website, not the app or the mobile site) and look at the top right of the page for each forum for "Top Questions", or for the green menu bar at the top that has lots of options, you can google up the official tourism sites for any areas you are planning to visit. Banff's is www.banfflakelouise.com . Googling "Kelowna tourism" will find theirs. For Alberta or BC in general, www.hellobc.com and www.travelalberta.com Some of these have publications that you can send away for, if getting printed materials by post is what you would like.