We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Squamish sea to sky parking?

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Squamish sea to sky parking?

Hello all. We’re coming to Canada for 3 weeks in September...we land in Vancouver, will stay overnight and then set off first thing in a hire car towards our first stop, Whistler. We would love to stop in Squamish and go on the gondola etc. We will have everything with us. We will obviously take valuables with us but I was wondering how safe the car park is to leave our cases etc.theyll be in the boot so will be well hidden...what do you think?

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
8 replies to this topic
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Squamish sea to sky parking?

Much safer than Cheshire certainly.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,826 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Squamish sea to sky parking?

I think you will be fine. It's a busy lot, with people coming and going. And if you are there on a weekend, and the weather is clear, it will be even busier. Just don't park, and then open the trunk/boot, so that anyone passing by can see what you have inside. I would do that anywhere, including at home in Nanaimo.

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Squamish sea to sky parking?

1.Keep any "can't lose" valuables on you.

2. As noted, do any sorting/packing before areiving in the parking lot and do not go into the trunk on arrival for a coat or anything.

3. If possible, park in an exposed, visible spot with foot traffic going by.

I used to work in Parks and theft from auto was so common. These tips were strategies we used for our own cars when at work.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,763 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Squamish sea to sky parking?

Britannia is 9 min south of the Sea to Sky gondola. It would be a good place to pull over and get any belongings out of the cabin, into the trunk. Then when you pull in to the Sea to Sky parking lot, you can just lock and walk. In September, I would put the risk at low.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,171 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Squamish sea to sky parking?

Agree that you want "can't lose" items like passport, tablet, on your person..not in your car.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Squamish sea to sky parking?

Thank you all for your responses. I feel much better about it now.

When we travelled to NZ a few years ago there were warning signs everywhere, in the popular beauty / parking spots, advising not to leave anything in the car so just wanted to check...

Squamish, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Squamish sea to sky parking?

Hello PGLady1,

this is Laura from Tourism Squamish. The Sea to Sky Gondola parking lot is usually very busy with lots of people coming and going and much traffic all year. Having said that theft sadly is a possibility everywhere and I agree with the strategies that Vancouverite67 mentioned in her post.

Looking forward to welcoming you in Squamish soon!

Mentioned in this post
Squamish
Squamish
British Columbia, Canada
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
134 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Squamish sea to sky parking?

Thank you for responding Laura... I’m sure it will be fine if well hidden...we both have backpacks so we’ll take all our valuables up with us... cany wait 👍

Reply to: Squamish sea to sky parking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Squamish
More Squamish Topics